Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Beers - do I need fresh yeast for bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Brett Beers - do I need fresh yeast for bottling

I've been really busy recently and not paid too much attention to brewing. Consequently I had a number of beers which sat in the fermenters for a long time.

I use fresh yeast to bottle the Saison and the IPA (tossed in some dry hops a couple of weeks earlier in that one. And I've got a few Sours that I'll also add yeast to.

I also have two All-Brett beers. I'm guessing they are about 6 months old (I don't have my records with me). Do I need to add any fresh yeast at bottling? I don't have any Brett available, but could grow a sample if necessary. I guessing I don't really need to add any.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 718 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I also have two All-Brett beers. I'm guessing they are about 6 months old (I don't have my records with me). Do I need to add any fresh yeast at bottling? I don't have any Brett available, but could grow a sample if necessary. I guessing I don't really need to add any.
based on what i've read, the brett will carb you beers but will do so slowly. if you're willing to wait a month or two, the brett will get you there.

if you'd like to enjoy faster (or be 100% sure it's going to carb), pitch something else like a bit of champagne yeast.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply