New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bottling with cork and cap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Bottling with cork and cap

I have noticed that some lambics have a cap and cork. Is this something that I should try and make happen for my lambic?

I have a lot of Martinelli Cider bottles that are apparently cap-able, and was wondering if I should buy #9 corks to shove in them first before capping?

And finally, does anyone know if the standard black capper (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/black-beauty-bottle-capper.html) works well enough with these bottles for long-term storage?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

My first guess would be that the cap is purely a cost savings over the cage, but maybe there is a storage or over carb / safety factor involved. Aren't Jolly Pumpkin beers corked and capped / occasionally gushers?

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
gamb0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If the bottles take standard size caps you should be fine with the black beauty, though many 750 ml champagne & euro style bottles require 29 mm crowns, which the black beauty capper won't do.

With regard to caps + corks: I'm not sure. I always thought it was to deal with the higher carbonation pressure for lambics.

All of the JP beers that I've had are only capped, no corks. I've never had Lambicus Dexterus though. Anyone know how this one is packaged? I''ve also never had a gusher from JP

Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamb0056 View Post
All of the JP beers that I've had are only capped, no corks. I've never had Lambicus Dexterus though. Anyone know how this one is packaged? I''ve also never had a gusher from JP
Shows you how good my memory is . JP doesn't seem to move at a couple bottle shops I frequent. They have bottles from 2010. Last one I had was an Oro de Calabaza and I wasn't ready when I opened it. Probably lost 1/3 of the bottle.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
gamb0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
S They have bottles from 2010..
That may explain the gushing. I've never aged a JP that long!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I like the cork/cap idea Kinda fancy without the irritating cages

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Zippox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamb0056 View Post
With regard to caps + corks: I'm not sure. I always thought it was to deal with the higher carbonation pressure for lambics.
People keep saying that lambics are capped and corked because of the high carbonation, but for the recipes that I have been seeing on here, they all use the standard priming method. Is it getting extra pressure from the bacteria lowering the SG or something over time (even after 1.5 yrs)?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
gamb0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, I should clarify. I assumed that OP was actually referring to geuze, not a straight, unblended lambic. Geuze bottles are those that are corked and capped. Geuze is highly carbonated - I think 3 - 4.5 volumes, hence my assumption about the need for both cork and cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippox View Post
People keep saying that lambics are capped and corked because of the high carbonation, but for the recipes that I have been seeing on here, they all use the standard priming method. Is it getting extra pressure from the bacteria lowering the SG or something over time (even after 1.5 yrs)?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My honest guess for a cork and cap vs a cork and cage is a function of the brewery's lack of equipment. It's cheaper to get a standard wine corker and a crown capper than it is to get a mushroom corker and cage machine. Neither really offers serious benefit over the other that I can tell. Now I've never paid attention before but is it possible that bottles like Cantillon use a high quality wine cork and a cap vs the agglomerated beer cork? Champagne corks at leas have two solid discs of natural cork glued on the end with the remainder being agglomerated. The beer corks are 100% small cork particle agglomerated, so a high quality wine cork might end up being better than the beer cork and cage.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
Zippox
Recipes 

I just tried corking and capping one of the Martinelli's bottles. The cap worked but the #8 corks were too big. I think that I will try and find out what cork # would work.

Quick Reply