Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bottle conditioning brett beer with 2nd strain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2196 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

Default Bottle conditioning brett beer with 2nd strain

Input or experience on bottling a brett beer with a 2nd strain?

I've got a brett C beer that started at 1.060 and is stable at 1.012. Hopefully I'll have a few bottle isolate and commercial brett strains to be able to compare with a sugar primed version without additional yeast.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I'd worry about pitching a more agressive/attenuative Brett strain at bottling on a beer with that much residual gravity. Give it a shot, but keep a close eye on the carbonation level.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2196 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I'd worry about pitching a more agressive/attenuative Brett strain at bottling on a beer with that much residual gravity. Give it a shot, but keep a close eye on the carbonation level.
It wasn't quite done, I bottled with sugar and without additional yeast at 1.008.

An interview I was listening to suggested brett produces less CO2 from the same amount of sugar than sacc. Is this true in your experience?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
An interview I was listening to suggested brett produces less CO2 from the same amount of sugar than sacc. Is this true in your experience?
If it was the Jeff O'Neil quote of Neva Parker, I ran it by her and it was not really what she way saying. Feremtnation produces the same amount of ethanol and CO2 from a given amount of fermentables regarless of whether it is Brett or Sacch.

"Jeff is sort of right. Usually Brett fermentations are much slower than Saccharomyces - so in that respect, there is about half the amount of CO2 for the same fermentation period. In the end, you'll wind up with similar amounts, but it will just take Brett longer to get there."

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply