Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Body Harvest Ale!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
RushN24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Body Harvest Ale!?

Brewers are constantly pushing the envelope with crazy new techniques but just when you think brewing technique can't get any more eccentric, someone proposes an idea so radical it practically blows your mind. I just finished reading the most recent issue of Zymurgy, and Charlie Papazian just keeps on surprising me with his truly outside the box approach to brewing. In his article, Where the Wild Things Are, he briefly suggests that one could harvest the existing wild microorganisms currently dwelling on each of our own bodies and culture them for the purpose of adding it to beer.

Though he has not tried to do this yet he goes on to conject a basic technique whereby a person swabs the skin with a sterile q-tip and cultures the sample in a 1/4 cup of boiled,cooled, and aerated wort (1.040). Then stepping it up to a larger, more appropriate pitching volume, for a few days upon detecting activity and adding it to secondary.

At first thought you might be somewhat repulsed by the notion, but you have to admit such innovative thinking naturally stimulates the mind. You start asking yourself if you would do this, you argue that it might just be too outlandish, but then again what aren't homebrewers trying these days? It's our nature to be experimental, visionary thinkers.

So what do you guys think? Read the article, it is mostly about toasting hops, which is actually very interesting too, but I thought this might inspire more conversation. Would you try it? Is it just plain crazy, or is it genius. Papazian also raises issues about patents and naming right, using cultures from eminent people such as movie stars, musicians...etc. Also in an effort to encourage experimentation and reassure the apprehensive germaphobe Papazian reminds us "there are no known pathogenic organisms that can survive in beer."

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

-E.A. Poe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It sounds absolutely repulsive

the more I read/hear about recent articles from papazian the more I think about a crazy uncle, you know the guy that may have had it together at one point, but now mumbles weird things to himself and makes other people uncomfortable...

I do like that hes never even attempted this himself........

Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Next month in BYO, "Yeast infections, they're not just for vajayjay's anymore!" ...

I don't think I'd try this... and I've tried a lot.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

...like how a wild bread yeast starter is made? interesting.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

this came up on an old podcast. Some artsy fartsy lady was making a designer beer with her own yeasties.

Made me throw up a little.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
RushN24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah these are the reactions I was expecting. It might spark a little curiosity but it sound like your just asking to make infected beer. I mean we are so anal about sanitation, not touching anything to the wort that is unsanitary, not sucking on the siphon tube to get a siphon started etc...I'm thinking if you want to try this screw the Iodophor, just brew the beer and then dip your feet in the wort at transfer.

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

-E.A. Poe

Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
yellowthere
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushN24 View Post
In his article, Where the Wild Things Are, he briefly suggests that one could harvest the existing wild microorganisms currently dwelling on each of our own bodies and culture them for the purpose of adding it to beer."
This is the kind of stuff that makes homebrewers look like weirdos. Just Saying.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Chicha-traditional Latin American corn beer. (with spit!)
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/dining/09beer.html

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker18 View Post
this came up on an old podcast. Some artsy fartsy lady was making a designer beer with her own yeasties.

Made me throw up a little.
You down with OPB! hell no, not me.

Original Pu$$y Beer she coined that one. But in retrospect, have you seen her? she's not bad looking and I'd wager that if she's were mine I'd take trips downtown if she wanted.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
lurker18

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
You down with OPB! hell no, not me.

Original Pu$$y Beer she coined that one. But in retrospect, have you seen her? she's not bad looking and I'd wager that if she's were mine I'd take trips downtown if she wanted.
Never looked her up. Just heard the podcast and that was about enough for me. Off to Google I go.

Tags
bacteria, beer, culture, strain, wild

Quick Reply