Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Blog about capturing wild yeast - help me find it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #21
LaFinDuMonde
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Awesome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
LaFinDuMonde
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 209

This might be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway: Do you think there is any benefit if I spray the grapes with Star San before I put them in the wort? I heard that Star San does not kill yeast, but will kill most bacteria. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
Warthaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bad idea. An accurate statement of what star san does is it "kills yeasts more slowly than it kills bacteria".

You don't really need to worry about the bacteria - a while ago I did a blog post on what happens during a wild ferment. Long story made short:

1) Early on you'll get some bacterial growth, including some stuff we'd normally want to avoid,
2) Between days 10 and 30 of the ferment, yeast will come to dominate, as the dropping pH and climbing alcohol levels of the wort kill off most of the bacteria.
3) Over the next few months the culture will mature, ending up with a (hopefully) tasty mix of wild yeasts and some brew-friendly bacteria.

If you're worried about the bacteria you can heavily hop the wort (bittering additions are all that is really needed). Alpha acids have some anti-microbrial effects but are generally harmless to yeast.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!
LaFinDuMonde Likes This 

Quick Reply