The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Blog about capturing wild yeast - help me find it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
ikyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a ready supply of powdered amoxicillin, and a ready supply of liquid ceftriaxone. Would those work at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

amoxicillin should be OK - it targets the same thing as penicillin, so shouldn't harm yeast & will kill gram positives. Ceftriaxone kills gram positives and negatives, and not yeast, so it should be OK as well. In fact, ceftriaxone should be sufficient on its own - amoxicillin is totally redundant if you have ceftriaxone.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
ikyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
ikyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure this is a whole 'nother can of worms, but once I find a few decent strains, can you isolate the yeasts to selectively breed them? Like, if you wanted a higher flocculation trait, you could take some of clumps at the bottom and keep breeding those?

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying the breeding process. I just don't anticipate getting anything very viable for brewing a really good beer, but I'm willing to work with a strain/species that provides decent results, but needs refining. I'm assuming that, in essence, this is what you're doing?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Warthaug
Recipes 

I've tried breeding in the past (I have a post here on HBT, from ~2 years ago, where I talk about that). Its not trivial, requires a lot of special stuff, and is unlikely to give you what you want.

You can try and drive evolution of the strain towards what you want; for example, if you continually re-pitch yeast that has settled mid-way through the ferment, you will select for highly sedimenting strains; which are usually quite flocculant as well. Over several batches of beer you should see the strain become ever more sedimentive.

Bryan

Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Warthaug
Recipes 

It took a while to finish (broken microscope), but the blog post I mentioned earlier is now up, describing my recent round of wild yeast capture:

http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca...east-hunt.html

Bryan

Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
ikyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is fantastic, and really answers a lot of my procedural questions. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog. I have two questions:

- What is your ultimate goal? To find a strain or two of viable Saccharomyces Cerv. that is a good, viable "American" strain? (Being that all of our brewing strains are derived from Europe)

- If I have plastic petri dishes, is there any way I can make your process work? Or do I need to order glass ones? (The plastic ones I already have, a friend gave them to me).

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
Warthaug
Recipes 

My ultimate goal is to end up with a handful of wild strains with desirable and consistent fermentation characteristics. That way I (and anyone I share them with) can do 'wild' ferments with a better degree of control. I am hoping for something a little more interesting than US strains though.

As for plastic petri dishes, the answer is 'it depends'. If the package is unopened (or opened in a way to preserve the sterility of the plates) you can use them. However, they cannot be autoclaved/pressure cooked, so there is no way to re-use them or to sanitize them if they were opened in a way that the dishes were exposed to contamination (e.g. opened in room air without a flame).

Bryan

Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #19
LaFinDuMonde
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 189

This thread is fascinating! Thanks for all the info, Bryan!

I want to try and harvest some wild yeast from Concord Grapes that grow wild in my yard. I have no lab equipment and no intentions of getting any. Am I wasting my time?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Warthaug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFinDuMonde View Post
. . .Am I wasting my time?

Not at all. In fact, I'm beginning something similar but using tomatoes. Make up some 1.040 wort, boil it to sterilize (you can also hop it, to provide some degree of anti-bacterial capacity), dip the grapes in (I'd leave them in no more than a few hours), and then let it ferment to completion (likely a few months). In the end you'll have a mix of bacteria and yeast - you can then either use that as a lambic-like blend, or go through an isolation process to pull out the yeast(s) of interest.

Since this thread started I've made a few more posts, which include some methods to purify strains of yeast from a wild ferment:

First Wild Yeast Hunt
Results of the First Wild Yeast Hunt

All of my posts relating to these sorts of wild-ferments can be found here.

Bryan

LaFinDuMonde Likes This 

Quick Reply