Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Blending advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Default Blending advice

Blending veterans, care to share experience/advice?

I've got an 18 month old and a year old sour that I'll be bottling soon (both in the .094 range). I'd like to steal a gallon or two from each to blend, with a quasi-solera project in mind. With that blend I'd like to add some cherries and another gallon or two of some 4/5 month old sours.

Questions:

• Should I be purging vessels with CO2 when blending?
  • Should the young wort get added to the blend first and then wait some months before adding fruit, or could the fruit and new wort be added simultaneously?
  • Will the bugs in the young wort keep working in that environment once blended or should I pitch a little extra brett/dregs after a few weeks?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

You don't need to add any more dregs. There will be enough active bugs to continue fermentation. Since you're adding more fermentables I wouldn't purge the vessel unless you will have a lot of headspace but others may disagree. I definitely don't think you will hurt anything by purging. I say blend everything together at once.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
tasq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ryan did a good write up. http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2011/03/blending-and-fruiting-lambics-my.html

Old 02-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
You don't need to add any more dregs. There will be enough active bugs to continue fermentation. Since you're adding more fermentables I wouldn't purge the vessel unless you will have a lot of headspace but others may disagree. I definitely don't think you will hurt anything by purging. I say blend everything together at once.
Thanks Reverse. I just looked through some of the blog posts on your solera, good read (and sounds incredible).

I'm thinking I may end up keeping the fruit out of the main solera and just steal a few gallons later this year to add cherries in some smaller fermenters.

Slightly off-topic, but sort of related, has anyone used 50L barrels for sour aging? I'm assuming the oxygen permeability would be more than a full barrel, but much less than the small 5 gallon whiskey barrels.

My dad and I are in the very beginning stages of rehabbing an early 19th century stone root-cellar on my folks' property in Virginia. If all goes as planned, this space would be perfect for a temp stable barrel area. The kicker is it has a super narrow doorway which I don't think will accommodate the middle diameter of a full barrel, so I'm thinking of rigging a few Hoff Stevens kegs up as fermenters or ideally using some mid-sized barrels like the 50L if anyone has used them with any success

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply