Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Best Temp For Aging SN/RR Brux

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
This is a light, orval style beer, that's already got the brett character. I personally don't see it evolved into any varied flavors with aging.
I completely disagree. The brett character will definitely evolve, just like it does in Orval. Brett will continue to work for a very long time, this beer will not remain the same.

Follow Wahoo's advice and this should develop a much more prominent brett character

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27

I completely disagree. The brett character will definitely evolve, just like it does in Orval. Brett will continue to work for a very long time, this beer will not remain the same.

Follow Wahoo's advice and this should develop a much more prominent brett character
Thanks for the reassurance. That was my gut feeling when I bought them.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Opinions differ.

Brett creates it's flavor be eating the residual, complex sugars left over by the primary fermentation.

RR/SN BRUX FG

This is the current SG of one of my bottles of Brux. As I said, It's quite dry already and not a very complex beer to begin with. Enjoy aging it and I hope it evolves for you, but I wouldn't expect exotic changes.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Opinions differ.

Brett creates it's flavor be eating the residual, complex sugars left over by the primary fermentation.

RR/SN BRUX FG

This is the current SG of one of my bottles of Brux. As I said, It's quite dry already and not a very complex beer to begin with. Enjoy aging it and I hope it evolves for you, but I wouldn't expect exotic changes.
Based on what I've heard from Chad Yakobson at Crooked Stave, brett doesn't need left over sugars to create its 'flavor'. Brett will continue to break down things like esters and even alcohol to create those signature flavors. Brett is unstoppable.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3292

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttcord View Post
Based on what I've heard from Chad Yakobson at Crooked Stave, brett doesn't need left over sugars to create its 'flavor'. Brett will continue to break down things like esters and even alcohol to create those signature flavors. Brett is unstoppable.
After a couple experiments with the brett brux strains they can provide a lot of tropical funky esters but its all how its fermented and conditioned. Like weezy said since it was fermented dry without the brett as a primary strain your not going to have much appeal from it, even after aging for a coupe years. Will it change? probaly but nothing where your gonna scream im glad i put these bottles away.

On the other hand you can do what i did and culture the dregs, pitch into a lightly hoped wort and ferment slightly warm, around 68-72 for those dense tropical esters/phenols. (WLP644 Brux trois does an insane job at fruit juice beer, in a good way) It does also provide a slight kick of acetic acid to the mouthfeel which pairs deliciously with the funk.

I was really disappointed when i had a bottle of this being my first RR back then, After my homebrew experiment im just really glad i got some of the yeast to play with, worth it in the end. Im a sucker for 100%brett beers now!!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #16
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
After a couple experiments with the brett brux strains they can provide a lot of tropical funky esters but its all how its fermented and conditioned. Like weezy said since it was fermented dry without the brett as a primary strain your not going to have much appeal from it, even after aging for a coupe years. Will it change? probaly but nothing where your gonna scream im glad i put these bottles away.

On the other hand you can do what i did and culture the dregs, pitch into a lightly hoped wort and ferment slightly warm, around 68-72 for those dense tropical esters/phenols. (WLP644 Brux trois does an insane job at fruit juice beer, in a good way) It does also provide a slight kick of acetic acid to the mouthfeel which pairs deliciously with the funk.

I was really disappointed when i had a bottle of this being my first RR back then, After my homebrew experiment im just really glad i got some of the yeast to play with, worth it in the end. Im a sucker for 100%brett beers now!!
I don't think you read/understood my post.

Also, if think brettanomyces is all about striving for 'dense tropical esters' I don't think you understand at all what this beer is about.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
TriageStat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 22 Posts

If your gonna properly lay a beer down and cellar it you need temp control. Upright freezer with external thermostat is what I have. You want your temp to stay between 50-55 degrees.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3292

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttcord View Post
I don't think you read/understood my post.

Also, if think brettanomyces is all about striving for 'dense tropical esters' I don't think you understand at all what this beer is about.
For one, i thought you were the OP my apologies there.

I just dissagree with you getting much flavor from brett at bottling on a beer this dry. You decribe brett breaking down esters which this beer is very void of and even alcohol, meaning the ABV will lower overtime as it develops?

Brett brux trois was the strain i was referring to with those dense tropical esters, barnyard brett funk is there also just not as prevalent.
With THIS strain of brett its the flavor profile i stide for, just refering to another strain the OP can use to get a "brighter/fruitier" brett apperance. I also find this strain alot easier to palate for new/bmc drinkers. Just my .02

This was a great beer. Just completly lacking...for what it was.

P.s I can still get bottles of this if anyones still looking.
Cheers!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Quick Reply