Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berlinerweisse - sick in the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
30+ batches and I've had it happen only once (Lost Abbey Red Poppy dregs). Where are you getting your Pedio from?
Not myself personally but from my research it seems many breweries have that experience with pedio, which leads me to believe it is fairly common.

My assumption is that the strains we get from Wyeast and WL are probably selected for not having whatever predisposes them to make those long chains. In the alternative, perhaps it is just more likely to occur in a larger fermenter than what we use as homebrewers.

Neither of my pedio-harboring batches have turned ropy but then again both are only a few months old. We'll see how they fair in the very hot Texas summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Not myself personally but from my research it seems many breweries have that experience with pedio, which leads me to believe it is fairly common.

My assumption is that the strains we get from Wyeast and WL are probably selected for not having whatever predisposes them to make those long chains. In the alternative, perhaps it is just more likely to occur in a larger fermenter than what we use as homebrewers.

Neither of my pedio-harboring batches have turned ropy but then again both are only a few months old. We'll see how they fair in the very hot Texas summer.
I've only heard Russian River, Lost Abbery, and Cantillon. Anybody else? I read/heard somewhere that many Lambic breweries think it is something to avoid (maybe one of the Vinnie speaches?).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
killsurfcity
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the info. as for where the bugs came from... i'd say the dregs of 30+ bottles, plus bugfarm 4. just some of the breweries that lent some bugs to this batch: jolly pumpkin, cantillon, hanssens, drie fonteinen, lost abbey, new glarus.
i made a starter from some leftovers in my fridge, and used it to inoculate the unboiled wort. not knowing how much sacc was present, i was going to give it 2 - 4 days before adding safale 05 to finish it off. by the time i got to it, i don't think there as anything left to ferment.
the beer came out great though. pretty much what you'd expect from a BW. crisp, tart, and mildly funky in the finish.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I've only heard Russian River, Lost Abbery, and Cantillon. Anybody else? I read/heard somewhere that many Lambic breweries think it is something to avoid (maybe one of the Vinnie speaches?).
Yeah, I think that was from the Sunday Session where they talked about that...other Belgian brewers acted like it was something terribly wrong and their superior methods avoided it, or they just lied and said it didn't happen to them

Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
cyraxx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Yeah, I think that was from the Sunday Session where they talked about that...other Belgian brewers acted like it was something terribly wrong and their superior methods avoided it, or they just lied and said it didn't happen to them
Yes, Vinnie said that Jean thought that 'sickness' was something good, while Armand and Frank Boon said it was something wrong. I'd really like to try a sick beer just to experience the texture.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by killsurfcity View Post
Thanks for the info. as for where the bugs came from... i'd say the dregs of 30+ bottles, plus bugfarm 4. just some of the breweries that lent some bugs to this batch: jolly pumpkin, cantillon, hanssens, drie fonteinen, lost abbey, new glarus.
Sounds like my knid of Berliner, plenty of Brett to clean stuff up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyraxx View Post
Yes, Vinnie said that Jean thought that 'sickness' was something good, while Armand and Frank Boon said it was something wrong. I'd really like to try a sick beer just to experience the texture.
I just did a beer with buckwheat, the pre-boil wort had a very similar texture and appearance to the sick beer. It will be interesting to see how it changes as it sours.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply