Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weisse transferring question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
rtbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Berliner Weisse transferring question

I brewed a berliner weisse just over 2 months ago now and it has been in the primary the whole time. I know I should have racked it into secondary 4-5 weeks in but I just kept my brewing calendar poorly so I am not sure what I should do now.

I have never brewed a sour ale before but I am pretty sure the pellicle formed last week (picture attached). I was wondering what people thought on how I should proceed since I had read that you normally want to wait for the pellicle to drop before bottling but I also don't know how much leaving it on the yeast cake will hurt the final product.

Should I go ahead and transfer it to secondary today or should I leave it on the yeast for a couple more months?

img_0010.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
cervezarara
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

rt-

I don't see a pellicle in the photo. I think the big bubbles are from yeast, probably the Brett. What yeast strain did you use?

This should be okay to rack. This will give you a chance to test the SG and give the hydrometer tube a taste. It can take several months for the lacto to really sour the beer. IIRC, remove Berliner from the cake and leave Lambic on the cake. There are tons of threads on the Lambic and Wild Brewing forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply