Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner weisse sour mash: how tart do you go?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I did a Berliner Weisse a couple weeks ago with the intent on getting it as sour as possible. I let the wort sour instead of the mash though. No-boil, no-hops, 7 day 120F wort rest with no Sacch (CO2 purged). pH got down to 3.3 after the 7 day rest and that's when I pitched the Sacch. It wasn't as sour as I expected after the 7 day period but it still had all of the sugar left according to refractometer readings.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have no doubt you will make a tasty beer, but if you are diluting 4:1 I suspect it will not be anywhere near as sour as you want.

Ideally you want to sour the entire batch (either sparge and then sour, or add the sparge water to the mash and sour), and you want it to go until the lacto decides to give up. When the PH gets low enough the lacto will move into it's dormant phase.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply