Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weisse Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
newkarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well my brew day got delayed as it was somewhat difficult to find the lacto. Finally have it in my hands and was just wondering if you guys think a starter is necessary? I am contemplating just pitching the lacto 48hrs ahead of the US-05 so it can get a good hold on the beer.

In process: Belgian Wit
Primary:
Secondary: Berliner Wiesse
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That is what I did. Just pitch the Lacto 48 hours before the other yeast. You can do it at the same time too. Since the yeast is most likely the largest cost in the batch you might want to pour another batch right on the cake.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
newkarian
Recipes 

Finally got around to brewing this today. Edited the recipe to what I did. Came out with a OG of 1.035 which is 84.5% efficiency. Plan on pitching the Lacto as soon as the wort cools to 95F.

Berliner Weisse
Est OG 1.031
Est FG 1.005
Est IBU 3-5
Color 2.5 SRM
5.5gal no boil

3# German Pilsner
3# Light wheat malt
1oz fuggle mash hop
Lactobaccilus Wyeast 5335
S-05

Protein rest 122F 20min
Sach rest 135 75min
Sach rest 149 60min
Mash out 170 10min
All temps were met with decoction boils to gain some IBU out of the mash hop and drive of DMS as this is a no boil recipe. Pitch lactobaccilus at 95F and let it ferment for 48hrs. Pitch S-05 at 65F and let it go till its done. Will probably primary for 2wks then do an extended secondary until it is sour enough. Will bottle at around 3-3.5 vols CO2.

Primary:
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
saq
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 11 Posts

How did this go? I'm doing some research on a Berliner-Rye I want to try soon and the no boil sounds like a real winner.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #15
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am starting a berliner weisse next weekend and am just going to use a simple single infusion mash and fifteen minute boil with willamette.. going to pitch a wl lacto culture 48 hours in advance of the sacc. I have notty and wl trappist ale blend in the fridge. How do you think it would turn out with the trappist blend? In my mind the phenolics would work with the sour, but not sure if it will work in practice. any opinion? (sorry to hijack)

so to the OP, what exactly do you mean by double decoction mash? I've done a couple dozen PG/AG batches, all using single temp infusion method. I've heard the term (and others) but am unclear on the process.

Edit: I just noticed that this thread is ressurected from the dead.. hallelujah!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Sure it'll work.

I like to try to add a little something to berliner weisse, since I am not the biggest fan of syrups in them and alone they are a bit one dimensional.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
newkarian
Recipes 

This recipe turned out great. Still have some bottles left that are very good. Won a silver at Music City Brewoff. Is very tart and reminds me of granny smith apples cheers.

Primary:

Quick Reply