New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weisse Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
newkarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Berliner Weisse Hops

Planning on brewing a no-boil BW this weekend. Only problem is I dont have any german noble hops on hand. I have tons of american c hops, amarillo, etc. I also have fuggles and goldings. I will be doing a mash hop for this with a below 10 IBU. Which would you guys use? The fuggle or the golding?

In process: Belgian Wit
Primary:
Secondary: Berliner Wiesse
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I think either one would work fine. I used Willamette (which I believe are a fuggle derivative) on my no-boil Berliner and like the results.

Are you doing a decoction? Otherwise your IBUs will be 0.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
newkarian
Recipes 

yes i plan on doing a double decoction with rests at 135 and 149

Primary:
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkarian View Post
yes i plan on doing a double decoction with rests at 135 and 149
Cool, I was really happy with my batch (.5 oz of hops in 3.5 gallons). What are you going with for yeast/bacteria? I used the Wyeast blend, but I’ll have to find an alternative since it doesn’t sound like that is coming back any time soon.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
newkarian
Recipes 

Planning on using Wyeast 5335 for the Lacto and US-05 for the Sach. I will make a 1.5L starter of Lacto and pitch it about 48hrs ahead of the Sach. Do you think around 1oz of fuggle would be good for 5.5 gals.

Primary:

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Sounds like a good plan to me, remember to post your results eventually.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
newkarian
Recipes 

Will do. I also have a Strong dark belgian that I bretted last may that is smelling great. Will have to bottle it soon. I is basically a rodenbach 8 clone that mutated. OG 1.10 SG last time i checked 1.08

Primary:

Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Oldsock
Recipes 

Sounds very tasty, I did something similar a few years back, but also added some dark cherries (ala Cuvee Tomme), ended up as one of the best batches I have made. I’m thinking of doing it again this year once cherry season rolls around, probably trying a blend of dark and sour cherries this time though for a bit more “pop”

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
newkarian
Recipes 

Sour cherry sounds good. Ive also dumped the dregs from Rodenbach gran cru, Renee Cuvee, and Fantome in. Has a beautiful pellicle that my SWMBO is afraid of.

Primary:

Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I used the Wyeast blend, but I’ll have to find an alternative since it doesn’t sound like that is coming back any time soon.
I received confirmation from Wyeast a couple weeks ago that it won't be back until 2010.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Quick Reply