New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > This Berliner Weisse is delicious!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
You already have infected equipment. It's slathered with a thick coating of bacteria, funguses, viruses and all sorts of random sh!t. Then you add water and grain to it, which is covered in a greater magnitude of ****, let it sit for an hour or two giving the random **** time to become even more random **** before boiling it.

So it's no worry. Just boil it.
I see what you're saying but I was more referring to people keeping separate equipment for their brett beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What I mean is that you have zero control over what spoilage bugs you get when you do a no boil. So it doesn't store too well unrefrigerated.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
bknifefight
Recipes 

With an extra long weekend for Christmas I decided to make a batch of this. The recipe was simple:
4 lbs 2 Row
3 lbs White Wheat
1 oz Hallertau (15 minutes)
I mashed thick (0.75 qrts/gallon) at 151* and cooled to 105*. It took a long time to cool so I ended up adding ice cubes to speed it up lol. Every 8 hours I checked the temperature and it usually had dropped to about 95*. Added boiling water to bring it back up to 105*.

Each time, I flooded it with CO2 and did not use any cling wrap or anything. You could smell it outside the mash tun, but it wasn't bad. It almost had a cooked corn scent to it. I tasted it each time too and it wasn't bad. What was gross about it was it was a murky yellowish grey color that was sort of chunky (grain). I would just swish a little in my mouth to see how it was souring and spit it out. After 36 hours I decided it was soured enough and finished it up.

There is no sense in vorlaufing this kind of beer, it is a waste of time. I spargued, boiled (15 minutes) and pitched some SA-05. It was a Christmas brew day for me

Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Glad to see someone else brewing Berliner Weisse in this fashion. I hear about so many people trying to pitch White labs or Wyeast Lacto strains, then they complain about how long it takes to perceive any sourness. Or, it ends up too sour, or not sour at all. This way you can stop the Lacto from working as soon as you achieve the right amount of sourness.

Also, letting lacto work for only 36 hours on your first try was probably a good idea. I have brewed this beer 3 times now and the first time was perfect @ 40 hours. The second batch was also 40 hours, but it was much more sour, almost too sour. I am actually about to boil my third batch right now, just tasted it and I almost can not taste any sourness at all, but I am going to give it a try. Seems that Lactobacillus is kinda wild (get it? hahahaha) and unpredictable, with varying levels of sourness over the same period of time.

Anyway, please let us know how your brew turned out.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
bknifefight
Recipes 

I read about this and thought "A new brewing technique, I need to try this!" lol Im not very keen on sour brews but when the beer is so cheap (I figured about $10 for 5 gallons), I couldn't not brew it

Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
bknifefight
Recipes 

So last night I decided it was time to keg up my Berlinner Weisse. I figured I would carb it with priming sugar while I waited for a spot to be free in the kegerator.

Anyways, even though it hadn't been in the carboy long it is unnaturally cloudy. More so than a hefeweizen at that age. Wheat was 40% of the grain, did the souring have some effect on this? It was a really nice light straw color.

I was able to taste it for the first time since sampling the sour mash. It is super light (didnt take a FG but assume pretty low, 1.005 or so) and brightly tart. I am glad I sour mashed and sampled it, because it is as sour as I would want. Sours aren't my thing, so this is going to be an experiment to get used to them. It definitely has the wet hay/horse blanket character to it but not overpowering. It is definitely one of the most interesting beers Ive brewed!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post

Anyways, even though it hadn't been in the carboy long it is unnaturally cloudy. More so than a hefeweizen at that age. Wheat was 40% of the grain, did the souring have some effect on this?
I usually keg my Berliner Weisse pretty quick, always cloudy. I did bottle condition a few and they turned out crystal clear...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
bknifefight
Recipes 

On Friday night I had a brew day and invited some interested friends. My keg of Centennial Blonde kicked after a pint and a half and I put the Berlinner Weisse on tap. Everyone LOVED it, including me. As it chilled, it only got better. I am very happy with this beer, and at about $10 for a 5 gallon batch, it's a no brainer to make more!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
Brewsader1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

With wheat being part of the grain bill, is there a need for a protein rest if it can be done or just the single infusion at 154 F?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
bknifefight
Recipes 

Single Infusion is what I did and it was fine. I imagine you can mash however you want.

Quick Reply