Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
pohldogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The notion of lacto causing bottle bombs seems to come up pretty often. From my experience, lacto hasn't produced gas during sour mashing, but I did some quick research to find out more. Based on the information from this paper from Cornell's dept of food science, using lacto d. does not produce co2. Lacto d is a homofermentative bacteria that has a primary byproduct of lactic acid. Other lactic bacteria are heterofermentative and will also produce alcohol and co2. If a pure culture is produced then co2 should be avoided. Perhaps if grain is used to inoculate the wort then results could be different.

Basically, if pitching a lacto culture from wl or wy then bottle bombs should not be a problem as long as the sacch is finished.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Ffoodscience.cornell.edu%2Fcals%2Ffoodsci%2Fe xtension%2Fupload%2FFACT-homo-hetero-09.doc&rct=j&q=Heterofermentative%20fermentation&e i=VWLvTYf4Oo6CtgeRqaSYCQ&usg=AFQjCNHkaTibdDJqJujJV VaxbV4n2WKAeQ&sig2=i1mo5XQBNyXtyoC65IgVlQ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #32
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohldogg View Post
The notion of lacto causing bottle bombs seems to come up pretty often. From my experience, lacto hasn't produced gas during sour mashing, but I did some quick research to find out more. Based on the information from this paper from Cornell's dept of food science, using lacto d. does not produce co2. Lacto d is a homofermentative bacteria that has a primary byproduct of lactic acid. Other lactic bacteria are heterofermentative and will also produce alcohol and co2. If a pure culture is produced then co2 should be avoided. Perhaps if grain is used to inoculate the wort then results could be different.

Basically, if pitching a lacto culture from wl or wy then bottle bombs should not be a problem as long as the sacch is finished.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Ffoodscience.cornell.edu%2Fcals%2Ffoodsci%2Fe xtension%2Fupload%2FFACT-homo-hetero-09.doc&rct=j&q=Heterofermentative%20fermentation&e i=VWLvTYf4Oo6CtgeRqaSYCQ&usg=AFQjCNHkaTibdDJqJujJV VaxbV4n2WKAeQ&sig2=i1mo5XQBNyXtyoC65IgVlQ
Thanks for posting the article and your summary. I ended up bottling my month old batch last week, so we'll see how it turns out.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #33
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've come to the conclusion (after a run) that a berliner is the most refreshing beer on the planet... crystal clear, lactic tang, gobs of flavor and light.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #34
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs View Post
i've come to the conclusion (after a run) that a berliner is the most refreshing beer on the planet... crystal clear, lactic tang, gobs of flavor and light.
Yeah, dude! This is one of the best beers for all the right reasons you say.

One thing that drinkers forget to do is mix this with woodruff or raspberry syrups - it's part of the drink! It's a little "anti-craft" to mix syrup into your beer, but with BW it's part of the tradition.

Nothing better than the 1st half of a 22ozer pure, 2nd half mixed with a bit of woodruff.

pandas are bears

Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #35
AlphaWolf-Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBier View Post
Yeah, dude! This is one of the best beers for all the right reasons you say.

One thing that drinkers forget to do is mix this with woodruff or raspberry syrups - it's part of the drink! It's a little "anti-craft" to mix syrup into your beer, but with BW it's part of the tradition.

Nothing better than the 1st half of a 22ozer pure, 2nd half mixed with a bit of woodruff.
Where did you find woodruff? I can find raspberry easy enough but woodruff has been tough for me to find.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #36
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf-Brewery View Post
Where did you find woodruff? I can find raspberry easy enough but woodruff has been tough for me to find.
See this link for making your own syrups out of the raw ingredients - though it still might be tough finding the Woodruff. I guess the all natural hippie co-op is your best bet?

http://www.cocktailsoftheworld.com/all-about-syrups.html

I'm using this stuff that I brought back from Germany for about $3 per bottle... useful if you make the trip:

pandas are bears

Quick Reply