Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I already had the Lactobacillus on hand, but am I hearing right that you guys think we should just do a standard mash but add the hops to the mash. Let it cool and then send it to the fermenter and wait for 2-3 days and then pitch a nice clean ale yeast. Would you do that over doing the no boil but pitching the lacto right away and then pitch like 1007 3 days later?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If I were you I'd use the lacto that you already have, just cause you were already planning to and you have it and it can only help. I would do the no boil thing cause it's the traditional thing. I've done two batches, one with the no boil method and one boiled. The 2nd batch is still aging but the taste seems very similar to the first at this stage. With the no boil method I got a much lighter color, almost creepy ghostly pale, which is cool looking. I also got a pellicle with the no boil, but no pellicle on the boiled one - even though it is souring just fine and tastes much like the first.

Long story short, I think both ways work, just have fun

pandas are bears

Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

just did two berliners and while they're not in bottles, i would do them both differently... i like ex's idea personally (next time make that same post two months ago, mmmkay? lol)...

the first one got whitelab's BW blend and again, not in bottles, but not a fan so far - the other got a lacto culture pitched at 110 and was let to ride for 24 hours then i added sacc. the first has some lactic, the second is boooooooring (now). we'll see...

Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

jtakacs, I did... hehehe

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sour your whole mash for 24 hours!

pandas are bears

Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBier View Post
If you have a few weeks, I would also whip up a batch of lacto cultured from grains. You could whip up two or three different batches and choose the one that smells best.

You can just experiment with it and see if you like the taste of it and if it doesn't work for your tastes, no big loss.

Just pitch 1 cup of milled grain with 1 cup of hot tap water in a food-grade container, cover the surface with foil, and put a lid on it. I use leftover buckets from bulk LME. You might have to vent gases once a day, you can put it on a heating pad to keep it warm. It seems like keeping it warm is key to getting a culture to develop quickly. Since the grain investment is so low and there's no boiling or extra steps, once you have all of the pieces of the puzzle in order, it takes about 1 minute of labor and 1-2 days of waiting and you've got nice lacto.
I want to try this. How am I sure that I've gathered Lacto and not some other bug? And since the lacto is on the outside of the grain, why do you need to crush it?

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Old 05-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
jtakacs
Recipes 

so it has something to eat. and you'll know by smell if it's lacto...

Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs View Post
so it has something to eat. and you'll know by smell if it's lacto...
So a 1cup to 1cup water ratio is sufficient for 5 gallons? And lacto smells sour, correct? Also, how long does this usually take?

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
jtakacs
Recipes 

it depends on how much sour you want... i've soured about 10-20% of my grist using a thinner mash (it gets pretty thick so about 1.5-2.0 quarters per 1.0 lbs of grain)... lacto will smell very sour (and clean if that makes sense) and you can expect it to start to sour after 24 hours for sure... i've never gone beyond 72 hours however...

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The 1 cup of grain to 1 cup of water is just a starter culture of lacto, enough to get a sense of the smell and taste of your eventual lacto character. You can use this culture to pitch into your sour mash as described by Jtakacs or to pitch into your 100F wort after brewing.

For my experiment, I split the liquid from my 1C Grain / 1C Water starter pitching half into a full sour mash and half into a standard half-gallon 1.040 DME starter. I used the sourmash right away and made a no-boil Berliner. The DME starter formed a little pellicle and chugged away and fermented out completely. I just left this finished starter in the brew closet for 5 months. I made a 2nd Berliner and boiled it, let it cool to 100F, then just pitched the entire DME starter into it, let it go for 72 hours, then pitched US-05. I bottled this 2nd brew last weekend and it is very very close to the first, only slightly less sour and more malty. I would do either way again and be happy!

pandas are bears

Quick Reply