The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #261
McCoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For what it's worth, when I pitched a lacto starter into my wort and incubated in the mid 90s, I had a pellicle formed within 24 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #262
jtd_419
best brewer ( in my house)
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaw3000 View Post

Yup, there is a whole thread devoted to these
I knew it was a pellicle..... I just didn't know if it looked like it was supposed to.... in other words, was trying to make sure that I caught the right bacteria

Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #263
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Question... 15 minute boil with Pils malt.. Isn't that a recipe for DMS (corn) flavor?

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #264
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wyrmwood, I'm not sure why there is no DMS but there definitely is not any with this technique. I have made two batches of it with great results

Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #265
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawdy10 View Post
Wyrmwood, I'm not sure why there is no DMS but there definitely is not any with this technique. I have made two batches of it with great results
Yeah, I've read that DMS comes naturally from the grain, but heat removes it, including kilning, that's why pale malts (esp pils) need to be boiled off, but I've also read posts that imply it somehow comes from the boil, so skipping it entirely would not produce it (never seen this in anything "scholarly")? (There's also an earlier post about a cream corn flavor that has me suspicious... I wonder if you get it really sour, it just masks the dms?)

My attraction to this method was that I was only "infecting" one container and I would then boil that container. I had not heard of the "no boil" method, so I just anticipated a 120 minute boil, adjusted for post sour volume (evaporation in the oven) and did a 100 minute boil. None of my equipment except my kettle ever touched the "sour" and I boiled it for 100 minutes Mine tasted like sour lemonade after 44 hours.
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #266
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds good wyrmwood I don't think a boil hurts the style, people just like the benefit of skipping it. Your method seems 100% valid thanks for the input

Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #267
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood
Yeah, I've read that DMS comes naturally from the grain, but heat removes it, including kilning, that's why pale malts (esp pils) need to be boiled off, but I've also read posts that imply it somehow comes from the boil, so skipping it entirely would not produce it (never seen this in anything "scholarly")? (There's also an earlier post about a cream corn flavor that has me suspicious... I wonder if you get it really sour, it just masks the dms?)
Have you tried google? Ordinarily I'm more helpful, but you deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawdy10
Sounds good wyrmwood I don't think a boil hurts the style, people just like the benefit of skipping it. Your method seems 100% valid thanks for the input
There are a number of reasons not to boil this beer. Color and losing volatile phenols and other flavor compounds as well as any alcohol produced during sour mash come to mind.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Wyrmwood Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #268
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Have you tried google? Ordinarily I'm more helpful, but you deserve it.
touche
Quote:

There are a number of reasons not to boil this beer. Color and losing volatile phenols and other flavor compounds as well as any alcohol produced during sour mash come to mind.
duh, I hadn't even thought of that, but I did lose 14 gravity points in the mash. I assumed the lactob had ate it, but yeah, obviously if any alcohol were produced, I just sent up in vapors... Still, I think I'd have a hard time not boiling it; fear I guess.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #269
Whalewang
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
There isn't any alcohol produced from this strain of Lacto because it's homogeneous. [I assume that you are getting the sourness from the lacto on the grain].

I thought you do a no-boil to ensure that you don't produce DMS. [I should probably google that ]

Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #270
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalewang View Post
There isn't any alcohol produced from this strain of Lacto because it's homogeneous. [I assume that you are getting the sourness from the lacto on the grain].

I thought you do a no-boil to ensure that you don't produce DMS. [I should probably google that ]
If you're souring with grain, you really have no idea what sort of lacto you have or what other critters are active.

I only suggested google because Wyrmy gave me a hard time about it the other day. If you read the DMS wiki on HBT it explains how the DMS precursor SMM is formed and how that relates to boiling.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Quick Reply