The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #211
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post
I'm going to be brewing up a raspberry berliner weiss this weekend using the sour wort method with White Labs lacto. I'm going to hold it at 110 from Friday evening until Sunday morning using a heat stick attached to a digital temperature controller in my boil kettle.

I'm going to make a session ipa the same day. Since the mash is already done for the first beer it should make for a quick double brew day.
I brewed this beer up yesterday. I had some issues, but it worked out in the end. My heat stick wasn't water tight so it tripped my gfi so I didn't have perfect temp control. So every few hours I had to go out in the garage and gently heat it some. I managed to keep between 100-120 from Friday evening until Sunday morning. It didn't start to get much activity until Saturday night so it didn't turn out very sour, but I could still taste it. Here is a pic of before I started the boil. I think next time I'm definitely going to do a lacto starter and maybe give it one more day. Also, I'm going to use the heat stick now that I fixed it.

I used my digital ph meter for the first time with this beer as well. Post boil it ended up with a ph of 3.8. Any of you guys who are more familiar with ph, what do you guys shoot with a sour beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #212
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Decoction hopping for a 10 gallon batch.

image-722510271.jpg

Going to sour wort with grain in kettle and then pitch 05 I guess. Did last batch half Brett half 05 and blended, but I don't have any Brett ready to pitch.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #213
lustreking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I did a decoction mash with no boil and no hops. I then pitched a qt starter with wyeast's lactobacillus and let it sour for ~5 days. I then did a 15 min boil with hops and pitched rehydrated s-05.

It's been two days and no fermentation. I'm guessing that the pH was too low for the s-05.

I made up another qt starter and am spinning some rehydrated nottingham. I'm planning on pitching it when it's most active, hopefully giving the yeast a running start before it hits the acidic wort. Should I "temper" the starter by adding a little of the wort at a time before pitching it, or just dump it right in.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #214
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 74 Posts

Here is mine. 1c but using Wyeast Berliner Weisse Blend. Mash with hops and no-boil. Spent about 3 weeks in primary, 6 months in secondary and this is at 11 days of carbonation. I used 6oz of corn sugar and a half pack of US-05.

Nice and light. Very carbonated and crystal clear for the first half of the bottle. I'm not happy with the Berliner Weisse Blend. Everyone who has sampled it says its sour, but I was hoping for a little more. It is a little sour, but nothing like the Kindl I get at the store. Still, it will be a great beer for warm summer nights.

image-1503591758.jpg  

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #215
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

wow that's impressively clear - what % of wheat did you use?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #216
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 74 Posts

50-50 German Pils and Weyermann Pale Wheat. The second pour was traditionally cloudy.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #217
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Mine got 34 at NHC (Atlanta) - didn't make it to mBOS. No score sheets yet . . .

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #218
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got a version of 5a in secondary now. I mashed with a protein rest and hopped during decoction ala mad fermentationist, then cooled to 125F, and used grain to sour the wort, then pasteurized the wort to kill the wild lacto and pitched US-05. Yeast lagged more than normal but eventually kicked in and based on looking at the carboy/airlock/krausen seem to be about done. But beer does not seem to want to clear... Haze in carboy not settling.

Any thoughts on next step? Cold crash and bottle? Gelatin or isinglass fining? Pitch Bret But then wait till fall to drink my summer BW?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #219
Whalewang
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A BW is traditionally cloudy. I would not attempt to clarify it.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #220
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

My first attempt is almost done, but I'm already working on my second try. I mashed yesterday, held it at 180 for 15 minutes, cooled it down to 110 with my wort chiller and am maintaining that temperature with my heat stick. I'm going to split this batch into 3 smaller batches for science.

My first batch will be no boil 100% Lacto fermentation (white labs). I'll keep it at 110 until it completely attenuates.

The second is going to be no boil plus American ale yeast. The lacto will have a 3 day head start and then I'll ferment the ale yeast at 65 degrees.

The third one I'm going to boil for 15 minutes, chill to fermentation temperatures and pitch ale yeast.

I love doing experiments like this and can't wait for the results!

Quick Reply