Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #161
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeer View Post
What was the odor like?
My wife describes it as baby vomit. She will not touch it. I personally think that is harsh and I say it is more sour wet farm animal mixed with cooked canned corn.

Will ride for beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #162
Jlaw3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF

My wife describes it as baby vomit. She will not touch it. I personally think that is harsh and I say it is more sour wet farm animal mixed with cooked canned corn.
Hahaha, i know the smell, boil and light hop addition cures all

Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #163
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaw3000 View Post
Hahaha, i know the smell, boil and light hop addition cures all
Did not cure this one. 20 minute boil an ounce of german hops. It got worse after the boil and worse still after fermentation.

Will ride for beer!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #164
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF View Post
Did not cure this one. 20 minute boil an ounce of german hops. It got worse after the boil and worse still after fermentation.
I would guess other bacteria than Lacto entered the mash.. and created some nasty stuff other than lactic acid...

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #165
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

So I plan on doing a sour wort for an extract berlinerweisse. My plan is to throw some grain into wort and keep it hot until it sours to my taste (which will be pretty sour.) After that I will heat and then use WLP 644 to ferment. The brett should be able to withstand a highly acidic PH.
I asked a couple questions a couple pages back in this thread and got some helpful replies, but I still have more questions.

How do I determine the alcohol content of my beer? Is the lacto from base grain homo or hetero fermentative? This will determine whether or not I bring the wort to a full boil after souring. I've read that the density of lactic acid is much higher than alcohol. Won't that affect my hydrometer readings? If I could get some density numbers regarding sugar, alcohol, and lactic acid, that might help me to calculate everything. If someone could me more specific instructions, that would be even better.

I also have another question regarding fruit. First of all, how much fruit would everyone recommend to get a full flavor inside of a light beer like this? Right now, I am specifically considering berries, though I might try different kinds of fruit in the future. Also, has anyone tried the vintners harvest purees that Northern Brewer sells? They seem pretty convenient, but I would like more info on them.

Also, has anyone tried adding some hops at flameout or dry hopping with a berliner weisse? I feel like adding some fruity hops like citra or simcoe might be a good idea, but I'd love if someone could give input.
I've been trying to read up on everything I need to know before I decide exactly what I want to brew, but information on all of this is limited.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #166
Jlaw3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflictor-of-grimness
So I plan on doing a sour wort for an extract berlinerweisse. My plan is to throw some grain into wort and keep it hot until it sours to my taste (which will be pretty sour.) After that I will heat and then use WLP 644 to ferment. The brett should be able to withstand a highly acidic PH.

I also have another question regarding fruit. First of all, how much fruit would everyone recommend to get a full flavor inside of a light beer like this? Right now, I am specifically considering berries, though I might try different kinds of fruit in the future. Also, has anyone tried the vintners harvest purees that Northern Brewer sells?

Also, has anyone tried adding some hops at flameout or dry hopping with a berliner weisse? I feel like adding some fruity hops like citra or simcoe might be a good idea, but I'd love if someone could give input.
I've been trying to read up on everything I need to know before I decide exactly what I want to brew, but information on all of this is limited.
I did exactly what you are planning. Here was my recipe. "5a"
3lb pale LME
2lb wheat LME
1lb pils LME
.5 crystal 30 .5 belg pils steeping
2oz cascade
1007 German ale yeast

48 hour sour with .5lb 2row inoculation

20 minute boil 1.5 oz hops at 20 mins .5 at 5mins

Pitched yeast, poured out 1 gallon into my mini ferm onto 2 cups pasteurized mixed berries just to try it.

OG 1.04

Just tasted both and took first grav readings this morning and holy deliciousness. Best beer I've made yet. The berry one is spot on and so is the standard. Hops added just the right amount of bitterness and aroma to balance the sweet and sourness. Finished dry and light body, effervescent look matching the style.

I'm damn proud of this first go around!

FG 1.01

Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #167
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I tasted my 5a after one week of US-05 fermentation. It has a nice sour bite to it and I quite like it. Gonna let it sit for another week in secondary to clear it up a bit.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #168
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder View Post
I tasted my 5a after one week of US-05 fermentation. It has a nice sour bite to it and I quite like it. Gonna let it sit for another week in secondary to clear it up a bit.
It's a waste of time. Even at 35* in a keg for several months, a Berlinner Weisse will still be cloudy.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #169
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Hey quick question.. Let's say I have a tight schedule and can't brew when the sourness of the sour mash is at my taste, would cold stop the lacto? If I bring the vessel down in my cold chamber, in the 50s?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #170
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Getting it significantly out of the temperature range would stop the lacto, either up or down. I would bring it up to pasturization temperature just to be sure that it won't do any other souring.

Quick Reply