New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #141
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for the advice. Besides being tough to find, I'm paying 8 bucks a pound...Looks as though this is going to be one of my most expensive batches to date. I'll try 5 lbs and report the results. I would hate to spend 20 bucks on fruit and not get any flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #142
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Bottled my 1030og lacto/brett splitted fermentation BW, primmed with honey. Not as acidic as expected, and still have this phenolic smell from the brett that I had in the starter, I thought it would go away...

Next time I'll try with a clean sacch strain or maybe a german weizen strain.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #143
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeer View Post
Yeah there's definitely a difference on fruits, which is why you'll hear people say not to use peaches or to use raspberries. I haven't used kumquats but just from my fruiting experience, I've always found more is better.
In this case, more is not better. I think you will find 1 lb is probably more than you need. Once it is in there you can't pull that flavor out, but you can add more later (taste it after a week or 2 and then add more).

A lot of the flavor in kumquats comes from the oils in the skins. Similar to oranges.

I added some to 1 gallon of a Lambic and it is probably too much. My wife had bought a small pack. Probably 6 ozs, it was the same size as a small pack of raspberries. I used what was left over after a couple of weeks in the beer; probably closer to 3 ozs in the gallon.

Chop them up and soak them in vodka for a week and add the fruit with the vodka. The higher alcohol of the vodka will better extract the oils and will also sanitize the fruit.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #144
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir
Thanks for the advice. Besides being tough to find, I'm paying 8 bucks a pound...Looks as though this is going to be one of my most expensive batches to date. I'll try 5 lbs and report the results. I would hate to spend 20 bucks on fruit and not get any flavor.
Didnt save the link, but I found a citrus grower selling 20lb boxes for 28$ shipped, maybe it was only 10lbs, either way it's a great deal if they till have them.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #145
LiquidArtisan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir
Currently waiting for my homemade lacto starter to do its thing prior to a 2a brew.

As previously noted, I am trying to replicate the kumquat BW I had at cigar city.

I have 2 lbs of kumquats...I was thinking about adding half at fllameout and then half after active fermentation dies down(frozen and thawed).

Any opinions? Should I just add it all post ferm?
Kumquats are used just like orange peel, use them whole & toss them in @ the end of the boil or in the secondary. I'd do both just like your thinking, but I'm not sure about the amount? I would compare it to orange peel by surface area so 3-4 = 1 orange? Guessing here, I would start with about 9 kumquats in the boil & taste before adding more in the secondary. Might have to try this, Let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #146
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
In this case, more is not better. I think you will find 1 lb is probably more than you need. Once it is in there you can't pull that flavor out, but you can add more later (taste it after a week or 2 and then add more).

A lot of the flavor in kumquats comes from the oils in the skins. Similar to oranges.

I added some to 1 gallon of a Lambic and it is probably too much. My wife had bought a small pack. Probably 6 ozs, it was the same size as a small pack of raspberries. I used what was left over after a couple of weeks in the beer; probably closer to 3 ozs in the gallon.

Chop them up and soak them in vodka for a week and add the fruit with the vodka. The higher alcohol of the vodka will better extract the oils and will also sanitize the fruit.

Ok, great. I had read up about fruiting and was looking at kumquats as an entirely different animal to berries and stone fruit. Glad to know I was right. So you are saying 3 oz per gallon gave a strong kumquat flavor, with the chopped and soaked in vodka treatment?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #147
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has anyone seen fermentation just from the lacto culture off the grains? I had soured for 8 days at room temp and after a quick 10 minute boil I took my gravity reading and it read 1.013!! It should have been 1.039!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #148
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Has anyone seen fermentation just from the lacto culture off the grains? I had soured for 8 days at room temp and after a quick 10 minute boil I took my gravity reading and it read 1.013!! It should have been 1.039!
Many species of lactobacillus is generally homofermentative and will produce lactic acid and very little else. More likely you have a super sour beer with very little alcohol.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #149
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Many species of lactobacillus is generally homofermentative and will produce lactic acid and very little else. More likely you have a super sour beer with very little alcohol.
So you're saying it was converting sugars into lactic acid and not ethanol?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #150
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
So you're saying it was converting sugars into lactic acid and not ethanol?
That's what you want when adding lacto.

Quick Reply