Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #131
mmonacel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When doing a sour wort / sour mash and tasting until you get the desired level of sourness has anyone found that after the boil and fermentation the sourness level changes at all (up or down) or does it stay constant?

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #132
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've found that the sampled wort tastes the same level of sour as the finished product.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #133
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
You may have mentioned it, but I'm not going searching. Did you get ant foul smell from the souring wort? What measures did you take to reduce it. I'm asking to see if the acidulated malt kept it in check.
I did nothing to stop smell. I got plenty of the creamed corn smell, but nothing overly foul.

Mine was kept in the brew kettle w/ a paint strainer bag with grain in it (uncrushed). Only the brew kettle lid was over the kettle (I covered the small hole in the lid - a bayou 9 gallon stainless pot w/ lid). This was in my fermentation chamber w/ a paint can heater (60 W bulb, I think) that kept it as hot as it would go (set to 100°F, but it hit 95° during the day, and closer to 90° at night).

For all that my chamber is pretty well sealed up, my extra bathroom isn't the cleanest place in the world (mold, etc grows easily). I don't use the bathroom for any bodily functions (aside from breathing, I suppose)
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #134
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I made a 5a sour mashing the whole thing at 110 for around 42 hours, then doing a 15 minute boil then pitched Safale US-05 yeast (washed yeast from a Coriander wit beer) and after 2 days is still bubbling along happily. This was a 3 gallon 5lb grain bill batch that sat in a full pot covered with Glad Cling Wrap. I also added 6oz unmilled acidulated malt and 2 oz 2 row into the mash. The pot of mash sat inside my 60 quart kettle with a 36" car battery warmer sleeve around the base of the mash pot which kept the whole mash at a nice even 110 the whole time. Had little odour after 48 hours but had a nice tart twang of taste to it.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #135
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Currently waiting for my homemade lacto starter to do its thing prior to a 2a brew.

As previously noted, I am trying to replicate the kumquat BW I had at cigar city.

I have 2 lbs of kumquats...I was thinking about adding half at fllameout and then half after active fermentation dies down(frozen and thawed).

Any opinions? Should I just add it all post ferm?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #136
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Currently waiting for my homemade lacto starter to do its thing prior to a 2a brew.

As previously noted, I am trying to replicate the kumquat BW I had at cigar city.

I have 2 lbs of kumquats...I was thinking about adding half at fllameout and then half after active fermentation dies down(frozen and thawed).

Any opinions? Should I just add it all post ferm?
2 lb of kumquat for 5 gallons? I haven't had the CCB beer but if it has a big fruit flavor you're going to need a lot more then 2 lbs for 5 gallons. I think the common addition rate is 1lb/gallon but I've found that isn't even enough.

As far as adding, I'd add them all post fermentation, I don't think you're going to get too much at flameout.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #137
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I started souring 2 gallons wort with a handful of grain at room temp (~72F) 8 days ago and it's finally sour enough to boil and start fermenting today. Just another anecdote.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #138
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeer View Post
2 lb of kumquat for 5 gallons? I haven't had the CCB beer but if it has a big fruit flavor you're going to need a lot more then 2 lbs for 5 gallons. I think the common addition rate is 1lb/gallon but I've found that isn't even enough.

As far as adding, I'd add them all post fermentation, I don't think you're going to get too much at flameout.
The CCB has tons of kumquat flavor. This once cheap beer keeps getting more expensive.

Have you specifically used kumquats? There is some variance within the 1 lb per gallon dosage rate between fruits based on the assertiveness of the fruit in question, right?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #139
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
The CCB has tons of kumquat flavor. This once cheap beer keeps getting more expensive.

Have you specifically used kumquats? There is some variance within the 1 lb per gallon dosage rate between fruits based on the assertiveness of the fruit in question, right?
Yeah there's definitely a difference on fruits, which is why you'll hear people say not to use peaches or to use raspberries. I haven't used kumquats but just from my fruiting experience, I've always found more is better.

And yeah, I'm right there with you, fruiting beer gets $$$$$ quickly.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #140
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/04/02/brewing-fruit-beers-at-home-part-1-of-2/

This is a great source for some quick rules of thumb. Unfortunately, they don't specifically list kumquats, but they seem to be a fairly gentle flavor that may require somewhere in the range of 1-2 lbs per gallon to really have the flavor shine through.

Quick Reply