Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #101
ChugachBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

Made 40 gallons, 4 day mash with heating blanket. Currently open fermenting in basement with lager yeast (why not?) in a SS drum. Going to flavor batches lightly after primary. Just pasteurize, not boil. So afar so good.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #102
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

After blending both parts (lacto and brett) together, I thought everything was done. Both FG around 1.002. But now it started bubbling slowly again. I placed it near a heat source so it's around 73-75°F.

That thing is going to finish under 1.000 for sure!

Bottling in 10 days, if it stopped bubbling.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #103
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It could also be the heat source causing the bubbling. It heats up and expands the air in the headspace and also releases more of the dissolved CO2 when you warm it up.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #104
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
It could also be the heat source causing the bubbling. It heats up and expands the air in the headspace and also releases more of the dissolved CO2 when you warm it up.
Hmm, maybe. I'll let it there for the 10 days anyway, if there's any more work to do, it will be done.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #105
BAJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did 2a - normal mash + single fermentation, but pitching lactobacillus few days before pitching saccharomyces and it's turned out wonderfully sour in only 4 days. Here was my method (sourced from dozens of threads on this site and others on berliner weisse).
I started 2 lacto cultures (both in mason jars) to see how different they'd turn out, the first one was 1 cup crushed grains in a cup of ~125 F water set in a window for a week with no additional heating source. The second was a mix of water and table sugar to about 1.035 (about 2 cups) at 125 F, with 1/2 cup uncrushed grains. This sat on a heating pad that maintained it between 95-105 F for a week. After a week the culture with table sugar had produced a much more advanced pellicle. I ended up pitching both because they both had pellicles and a cidery smell (which I've read is what you're looking for). The recipe was 50% pils 50% wheat with a single infusion at 150, double batch sparged with 175 F. I ran off 6 gallons and cooled to 125 F, and drained directly into fermentor. I did no boil, no pasteurization, no hops, no aeration. I stirred up both lacto cultures and pitched entire starters (straining through mesh strainer, so no grains got into fermentor). The entire fermentor sat on a heating pad (not sure how much it actually had an effect) but it stayed at about 80-85. After 4 days it went from 1.032 to 1.010 with just the Lacto, and was very sour. I pitched a pack of s-04 directly into the fermentor with the lacto on day 4. This is where I'm at right now, I will take a hydro sample in a few days or a week to see if the gravity has gone down, I'm debating adding a very small amount of dry hops to give a bit of aroma (because it doesn't have a pleasant smell), I'm also debating if I should bottle or keg it, I really don't mind thoroughly cleaning the keg and lines after this has gone through (or maybe even having a dedicated sour/berliner tap throughout the summer). Let me know what you guys think about adding a small bit of dry hops, and if anyone has experience kegging this over bottling.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #106
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Has anyone ever done a blend of a berliner and a standard fermentation? I'm thinking about doing a batch and splitting it, sour mashing about 1/3 with fresh malt and 2/3 with american ale at the same time, but separate. Boil and ferment the 2/3 (sacc) normally and then do a quick boil of the 1/3 (sour) after sufficient souring (thinking up to a week at lower temps, around 95). Plan is to do "too much" so that I can blend in less or more berliner and still end up with a full keg.

Either that or I'll just do 5a. Still undecided.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #107
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
Has anyone ever done a blend of a berliner and a standard fermentation? I'm thinking about doing a batch and splitting it, sour mashing about 1/3 with fresh malt and 2/3 with american ale at the same time, but separate. Boil and ferment the 2/3 (sacc) normally and then do a quick boil of the 1/3 (sour) after sufficient souring (thinking up to a week at lower temps, around 95). Plan is to do "too much" so that I can blend in less or more berliner and still end up with a full keg.

Either that or I'll just do 5a. Still undecided.
My first attempt I soured the whole batch and it was insanely sour (4 days @ 110F). So for my second attempt I took half and soured it (4 days @ 110F) and took the other half and pitched yeast, then after the 4 days did a quick boil, cooled and blended them together to get a nicely tart beer.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #108
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeer View Post
My first attempt I soured the whole batch and it was insanely sour (4 days @ 110F). So for my second attempt I took half and soured it (4 days @ 110F) and took the other half and pitched yeast, then after the 4 days did a quick boil, cooled and blended them together to get a nicely tart beer.
Thanks! If you did it again would you stick with that ratio?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #109
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That still made a pretty tart beer. If that's what you're going after that should work. On my last few batches I've been souring at room temp for longer ~6-7 days and that's been a really nice, mild, crushable beer.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #110
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Bottling this weekend 20L... I think I will carb with a 250g jar of honey, wich make 187.5g of sugar... So 9.375g/L... Should add some flavor!

Quick Reply