Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Weiss, many ways

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #91
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

i boiled the water for a bit in the microwave - although I don't know how long it takes while boiling to scrub all the o2

i'd like to try a sour mash followed with an all Bret primary for the next BW to bring out some fruitiness, i was pretty successful in getting some peach/fruit esters from US-05 by fermenting it pretty cold

def a style i'd like to keep on tap or at least in heavy rotation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #92
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Just opened up my sour mash after 48 hours last night with some friends. Two of my buddies acted like babies and wanted nothing to do with it. Another guy and I dove in, spoons in hand. We flooded the head space with CO2 and it definitely had that cooked corn smell. Tasted decently tart, but we're going to let it stew for another 48 hours and see what happens. I'd rather go big on my first attempt and back blend if needs be.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #93
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Just opened up my sour mash after 48 hours last night with some friends. Two of my buddies acted like babies and wanted nothing to do with it. Another guy and I dove in, spoons in hand. We flooded the head space with CO2 and it definitely had that cooked corn smell. Tasted decently tart, but we're going to let it stew for another 48 hours and see what happens. I'd rather go big on my first attempt and back blend if needs be.
Mine was at 72 hrs yesterday evening and I decided to push my boil off to tonight. I actually thought it was more tart yesterday morning than in the evening, but I figure more is always better
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #94
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
has anyone successfully avoided the rancid smell from a sour mash by just flushing with co2?

my 36hour mash smelled terrible despite flooding the cooler with co2 each time i added more water and after adding the grain to inoculate. thankfully the smell boiled off and SWMBO loved the final beer so I can do it again

going to try the plastic wrap method next time
Plastic wrap and CO2 flooding is currently working for me. It only smells of cooked corn and tastes tart. No rancid foot/vomit smell here, which is a hallmark of butyric acid contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
I think part of the reason I didn't get the rancid smell was that I didn't add water to the mash at all. I used a mini personal heater from amazon inside my ferm chamber to keep my cooler MLT up at about 95-100F for the whole time. If you add water you're adding o2 even if its small amounts. I think the o2 is what causes the rancid smell but I might be wrong on that.

That being said when I do this again I will be doing a much thinner mash so that I sparge with less. I feel like the sparge cut the sourness a little too much.

I also want to try lacto in primary sometime too to see if it gives a better sour was that the sour mash method.

"Many ways" indeed!! This is a fun beer to brew and drink!
+1 on the heater. My LHBS had a decent heater for $30 and it worked perfectly on the ferm bucket we used for a sour mash tun. I built an extra temp controller and we only needed to wrap it in some sheets (that's right, you read correctly). Sheets and not blankets plus a standard ferm heater wrap were more than adequate to keep it at 100F in a 62F basement.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #95
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Plastic wrap and CO2 flooding is currently working for me. It only smells of cooked corn and tastes tart. No rancid foot/vomit smell here, which is a hallmark of butyric acid contamination.

+1 on the heater. My LHBS had a decent heater for $30 and it worked perfectly on the ferm bucket we used for a sour mash tun. I built an extra temp controller and we only needed to wrap it in some sheets (that's right, you read correctly). Sheets and not blankets plus a standard ferm heater wrap were more than adequate to keep it at 100F in a 62F basement.
re: rancid, my wife immediately thought it smelled like vomit... but she was wrong. Cooked corn is definitely more my descriptor. FYI, I used the 10% Acidulated, no CO2 blanket, covered only with my boil kettle lid.

I am able to keep it at 90-95°F in a fermentation chamber (insulation box) and a paint can heater (in a 50-55°F basement). Apparently that's the limit of a 60W light bulb. Maybe I'll upgrade to a 100W next time. Luckily, the 60W should be perfect for *every* other beer . . . and no chance of burning the house down!
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #96
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Subscribed. Please continue to talk amongst yourselves.

FWIW - I have a BW carbing up now. I'll post my results once it's ready.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #97
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I blended the two parts of my BW yesterday after 2 weeks if fermentation, both the Brett C and Lacto D parts were at 1.002, and I don't think it's going to go lower, everything was dow in a few days.

At taste, the brett C part was fruity, acidic, really light... A bit if phenol in the nose (rubber/plastic smell), hope it eikl dissipate... The lacto part was smoothly acidic, lemony, light.

According to my calculations, it will be a 2.3% abv. I'm bottling it in two weeks.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #98
fc36
Recipes 

My sour mash turned out great. With CO2 flooding, I probably didn't need saran wrap at all to keep the clostridium growth at a minimum. When we first opened the mash up (2 days) it had a faint vomit smell, but that was quickly overpowered by cooked corn. The taste and tartness wasn't quite there yet though, so we flooded it with CO2 and sealed her up. At 4 days, I opened it back up and got almost no hint of vomit or sweaty sock. It was almost completely cooked corn and the tartness was spot on. I removed all the saran wrap and rather than mash and fly sparge on my normal equipment, I opted to not risk infection and just dump all the mash water and grain directly into my kettle through a 5 gallon paint strainer bag typically used for dry hopping. It worked like a charm and we ended up with almost no grain material and now I can see why BIAB is so popular. We brought it up to a brief 10 minute boil, threw in a half oz of German Select for 5 mins and got it into a fermenter with some 1007. I'm super psyched to rack it to secondary and see how it turned out.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #99
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Why secondary? The point of a sour mash Berliner Weisse is that you can turn it in a week. I don't know if you bottle or keg, but either way I'd just skip the secondary and get it to your preferred serving vessel.

That way you're enjoying it now and can get to planning your next one.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #100
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
Why secondary? The point of a sour mash Berliner Weisse is that you can turn it in a week. I don't know if you bottle or keg, but either way I'd just skip the secondary and get it to your preferred serving vessel.

That way you're enjoying it now and can get to planning your next one.
I keg and whaddya know, we just floated our IPA the other day. I'm kegging that bad boy tonight!

Quick Reply