The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Berliner Taste 3 Weeks in

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
El_Exorcisto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yep, mash hop and steep some in the bucket when you run off. As long as you never boil, there doesn't seem to be enough AA extracted to be an issue for the lacto.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
garbs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Exorcisto View Post
If you don't raise the mash temp above 160, you never kill the lacto that is on your grain. There's no need to add grain, since you have a much higher number of lactobacilli from the 7 pounds of grain in the mash. Just let it cool and pour into the fermenter. Let that sit for three days, then pitch your yeast. It's the way they actually do it in Berlin, so I figure it's the way I should do it, too.
Are you sure they aren't throwing in grains after the fact? I'm pretty sure that if you keep your mash tun at 150+ for an hour, most of the lacto is going to be dead.

Many farms pasteurize milk at 150 degrees for under an hour. Guess what makes milk sour...

Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Miraculously, I have a batch of BW in my basement getting ready for bottles right now brewed in exactly the fashion I described. It's the second batch I've brewed doing it just this way, and they are both most certainly sour.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
garbs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Exorcisto View Post
Miraculously, I have a batch of BW in my basement getting ready for bottles right now brewed in exactly the fashion I described. It's the second batch I've brewed doing it just this way, and they are both most certainly sour.
Cool, I think I'll give that a try on my next one.

Quick Reply