Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bacterias old and new...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
technicoloraudio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deeeeecatur, East of Alabama
Posts: 69
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bacterias old and new...

I went to pick up some cultures from my LHBS and I snagged a pack of Wyeast Lambic Blend and and Roesalare. I just grabbed them and headed for the register and it wasn't until I got there that I noticed the dates were quite old. The Roesalare was nearly 12 months and the Lambic Blend was about 7 months old.
I got them both for free and figured I'd at least try and start them up. I did a 1 L starter at 1.020 and pitched both packs, let it hang for 12 hours and shook it up a bit, let it roll for another day.
There was no krausen, nor sign of real activity, but after the second shake, the yeast stayed suspended and I noticed a sour smell coming from under the foil.
Had to head to the other LHBS today and picked up a packet of Wyeast Pediococcus. My starter smelled sour and had a bit of a fizz to it. I added the pedio and dumped it into the carboy of beer that had previously tasted strongly of almonds.
I felt good about the whole thing, then wondered if I screwed the whole thing with all sorts of bacteria and that the fizziness was caused by acetobacteria and have been silently wondering since.
Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

__________________
technicoloraudio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
W0GWT
Do you have a dinosaur?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
W0GWT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,171
Liked 177 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicoloraudio View Post
I went to pick up some cultures from my LHBS and I snagged a pack of Wyeast Lambic Blend and and Roesalare. I just grabbed them and headed for the register and it wasn't until I got there that I noticed the dates were quite old. The Roesalare was nearly 12 months and the Lambic Blend was about 7 months old.
I got them both for free and figured I'd at least try and start them up. I did a 1 L starter at 1.020 and pitched both packs, let it hang for 12 hours and shook it up a bit, let it roll for another day.
There was no krausen, nor sign of real activity, but after the second shake, the yeast stayed suspended and I noticed a sour smell coming from under the foil.
Had to head to the other LHBS today and picked up a packet of Wyeast Pediococcus. My starter smelled sour and had a bit of a fizz to it. I added the pedio and dumped it into the carboy of beer that had previously tasted strongly of almonds.
I felt good about the whole thing, then wondered if I screwed the whole thing with all sorts of bacteria and that the fizziness was caused by acetobacteria and have been silently wondering since.
Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Probably not really repeatable, but otherwise fine. You'll have to wait some time and see how it turns out before you deem it a failure.
__________________
W0GWT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
technicoloraudio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deeeeecatur, East of Alabama
Posts: 69
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

How do you mean not repeatable?


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

__________________
technicoloraudio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
W0GWT
Do you have a dinosaur?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
W0GWT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,171
Liked 177 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicoloraudio View Post
How do you mean not repeatable?


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since the packs were old and all pitched together, it would be hard to be able to figure out the relative concentration of each strain or if they are all viable. It's unlikely that you'll be in a position to have the same mix of old smack packs in the future.
__________________
W0GWT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
technicoloraudio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deeeeecatur, East of Alabama
Posts: 69
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Aahh. Yes. This is true. The 1L starter had taken on sour aroma and taste which led me to believe that the old cultures still had some life to them.

Would the lactobacillus cause the fizziness, perhaps if it were a heterofermentative strain? That was the part I thought to be most strange.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

__________________
technicoloraudio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
W0GWT
Do you have a dinosaur?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
W0GWT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,171
Liked 177 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Bacterias old and new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicoloraudio View Post
Aahh. Yes. This is true. The 1L starter had taken on sour aroma and taste which led me to believe that the old cultures still had some life to them.

Would the lactobacillus cause the fizziness, perhaps if it were a heterofermentative strain? That was the part I thought to be most strange.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

They may well have some life left. My point was that the concentration of each strain is even more difficult to predict than normal. If one is more viable than the other, you'd obviously get more character from it. If you get an amazing beer, it may be very hard to make it again.

Lactobacillus has several strains. Hard to pinpoint. Roeselare itself has lactobacillus, as does the lambic blend.
__________________
W0GWT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
technicoloraudio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deeeeecatur, East of Alabama
Posts: 69
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I know it's a lot of lacto and since primary fermentation was over, I was less concerned about the sacc strains, since the starter wort had soured I figured the lacto was active anthem added the pedio.

I know the concentrations would be hard to replicate, if the beer comes out awesome, I will probably drop a fresh oak spiral for a week or so and try and harvest the bacteria/Brett bugs for another batch.

So far in all of my brews I haven't made the same batch twice, so replication has never been my priority. However, this particular batch came out pretty off from the start (same beer from my "Breaking down Benzaldehyde" thread) and the hefty bacteria pitch is all being done in hopes that it will break down the almond flavors prevalent in the beer.

Half the batch had gotten the store bought bacteria pitch, the other half has gotten lots of bottle dregs. It it works out, great, if not: beer pickles for everyone!!


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

__________________
technicoloraudio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools