Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > An 'authentic' Gueuze Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbillionethans View Post
*Wyeast claims that WY3278 contains a "Belgian-style wheat beer yeast"; sounds like WY3942 or WY3944 to me. Saccharomyces might have a guess, since he's isolating yeast strains.
I wouldn't give myself that much credit but a wild*** guess would be 3942 which supposedly originates from De Dolle in West Flanders. If you have had a Wit brewed with this yeast you will note it is quite a bit more neutral than the 3944 which is supposedly the Hoegaarden strain acquired from the Celis brewery when it was in operation right here in Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Many of the sour beers produced in America are done this way (Consecration, Cuvee de Tomme, etc. are inoculated with bugs post-primary fermentation) and achieve an adequate level of sourness.
My personal take is that this has to do with barrel aging. I've never been able to get carboy fermented beers to sour adequately without pitching bugs in primary. However the two barrel aged sours a group of us did went through clean primary fermentations before being inoculated with bugs in secondary and ended up as sour as any of my bug in primary carboy beers. Not sure if the wood or the oxygen is to credit.

I think the bug strains at use at breweries are also to credit, the bugs from bottle dregs seem much more potent (in terms of amount of sourness produced, speed, temperature, alcohol tolerance range etc...) than the equivalent commercial strains from White Labs and Wyeast.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

pure conjecture here, but maybe part of the reason barrel beers turn out more sour/funky is the fact that brett can metabolize wood sugars, so they have an additional source of food

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any body messed around with the red oak peg in the carboy for barrel simulated results?

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott823 View Post
Any body messed around with the red oak peg in the carboy for barrel simulated results?
I didn't really get better results than just using oak cubes, and the expanding wood cracked the neck of my carboy. A toasted oak dowel through a stopper would be a much easier alternative, but I'm still not sure the results justify the effort.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #16
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'll be fabricating the oak peg for a carboy of mine in the next month or two for my Flanders Red later this spring. I heard of wrapping the peg in a fair ammount of teflon tape, I suppose to buffer any expansion of the wood thus cracking the carboy. We'll see how it all turns out when I cross that bridge.

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott823 View Post
I'll be fabricating the oak peg for a carboy of mine in the next month or two for my Flanders Red later this spring. I heard of wrapping the peg in a fair ammount of teflon tape, I suppose to buffer any expansion of the wood thus cracking the carboy. We'll see how it all turns out when I cross that bridge.
I did the Teflon tape thing too, also if there is even the smallest amount of fermentation going on when you add the peg watch out for the pressure that builds up forcing beer out through the wood.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Wes, I have 4 sours going with the oak dowel process. The oldest went into the secondary in July I think. It is exhibiting a nice acidic nose as of last month, but I think it will get a more sour flavor as it ages through the summer when things warm up. I have no control to compare to, but I honestly think the oak is allowing a good amount of o2 into the beer below the pellicle. All but 1 of the beers were primereied with a sour strain in my case. I do have one sour going now without the oak dowel, but it has only been in the bucket with the bugs for like a month, so there is no sense in comparing that one, however it is freaking fantastic at its young age.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #19
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post

those are damn pretty. can't wait to see how they turn out!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post
Wes, I have 4 sours going with the oak dowel process. The oldest went into the secondary in July I think. It is exhibiting a nice acidic nose as of last month, but I think it will get a more sour flavor as it ages through the summer when things warm up. I have no control to compare to, but I honestly think the oak is allowing a good amount of o2 into the beer below the pellicle. All but 1 of the beers were primereied with a sour strain in my case. I do have one sour going now without the oak dowel, but it has only been in the bucket with the bugs for like a month, so there is no sense in comparing that one, however it is freaking fantastic at its young age.

Next brewday I'm definitely picking your brain on your setup(s)

Quick Reply