New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Attempting Temtation close this weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
seedubxj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Attempting Temtation close this weekend

Wondering which dregs, aside from the RR Temptation, I should pitch. Here are a few of the options I have. Any pros/cons to any?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Are you sure you didn't just come here to show off all your amazing beers?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 45

You should probably pitch the lot of 'em. Those being a lot of beers, though, you might have to solicit help in drinking the beer above the dregs in time for brew day....

...seriously, though, I'd google around, see if any of those breweries pasteurize after conditioning; I know Russian River doesn't, and I don't think Cascade does, but I have no idea about the others.

I wouldn't bother with the Damnation, it's got whatever Russian River's house Belgian strain is, but none of the funky bugs. The Beatification, on the other hand, is a fist full of funk wrapped around sour brass knuckes, 100% spontaneous fermentation from the local critters in Santa Rosa, would definitely make for an interesting pitch, as long as you're not looking for something subtle...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera View Post
You should probably pitch the lot of 'em. Those being a lot of beers, though, you might have to solicit help in drinking the beer above the dregs in time for brew day....

...seriously, though, I'd google around, see if any of those breweries pasteurize after conditioning; I know Russian River doesn't, and I don't think Cascade does, but I have no idea about the others.

I wouldn't bother with the Damnation, it's got whatever Russian River's house Belgian strain is, but none of the funky bugs. The Beatification, on the other hand, is a fist full of funk wrapped around sour brass knuckes, 100% spontaneous fermentation from the local critters in Santa Rosa, would definitely make for an interesting pitch, as long as you're not looking for something subtle...
Cantillon is definitely not pasteurized and I think Damnation batch 23 has brett.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
seedubxj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflictor-of-grimness View Post
Are you sure you didn't just come here to show off all your amazing beers?
HA! No, its just easier to post pics insteard of typing them all out!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Wow, 25$ for a 375 of bio geuze? That's sad. On topic, listening to the sunday session interviews with Vinnie will give you a lot of good info. If you want your beer to taste like Russian River, stick with RR dregs.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
seedubxj
Recipes 

Well, brew day went good. Ended up with 10g of 1.067 wort, split the batch, and inoculated half with the dregs from 2 bottles of Temptation and 2 bottles of Cantillon. Now the waiting begins.

Luckily I'll have 5 gallons of a nice Blonde in a few weeks.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
kaz4121
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would you mind posting your recipe? I'm going to do a temptation clone in the next couple months and haven't found a solid recipe yet.

On Tap: Brewberry (BGSA with Blue/blackberries), Oatso Delicious (Breakfast Stout)
Bottled: Homechuck (Cider), Domestication (100% Brett), Squatch (RIS)
Fermenting: Hoppopotamus (IPA)
Conditioning: Morning Fix (Bourbon/Coffee RIS), Afternoon Delight (Bourbon/Cacao RIS)
Souring: Flora (Sour Blonde), Synergy (Spontaneously Fermented Sour Dark), Elefunk (Funky Sour)

Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
seedubxj
Recipes 

From a past issue of BYO:

Russian River Brewing Co. Temptation clone

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain) OG =1.064 FG = 1.012 (going into the barrel), IBU = 28 SRM = 4 ABV = 6.7%

Ingredients:
12 lb. 6 oz. (5.6 kg) 2-row pale or Pils malt
10 oz. (0.28 kg) wheat malt
3.8 AAU Styrian Golding hops (90 min) (0.76 oz./22 g of 5% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU Sterling hops (30 min) (0.56 oz./16 g of 8% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU Sterling hops (0 min) (0.56 oz./16 g of 8% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Ale) or White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale) yeast
Wyeast 5112 (Brettanomyces bruxellensis) or White Labs WLP650 (Brettanomyces bruxellensis) yeast
Wyeast 5335 (Lactobacillus) or White Labs WLP677 (Lactobacillus) bacteria Wyeast 5733 (Pediococcus) bacteria
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step:

Mash at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil for 90 minutes. Ferment at ale temperatures. Fine beer post fermentation. Add a 1 pint Brettanomyces bruxellensis starter. At Russian River, we get the Lacto and Pedio from the air or blending post barrel aging. For homebrewing purposes, add a 0.5 pint (240 mL) Lactobacillus starter and a 0.5 pint (240 mL) Pediococcus starter. You can also try to culture them from a bottle of Temptation.

Age for 12–15 months. Bottle condition or force carbonate. Remember that if you are bottle conditioning, you'll need to add more sugar than normal, probably 1 cup of sugar per 5 gallons (19 L). This is because the beer has lost all of its CO2 during the barrel aging. It is as still as wine when it comes out of the barrel.

Extract Option:

Reduce Pilsner malt to 1.38 lb. (0.62 kg). Add 2.5 lb. (1.1 kg) Briess Light dried malt extract and 4 lb. 12 oz. (2.2 kg) Coopers Light liquid malt extract. Steep grains in 3 qts. (~3 L) of water at 154 °F (68 °C) for 45 minutes. Rinse with 1.5 qts. (~1.5 L) of water at 170 °F (77 °C).

Add water to make 3 gallons (11 L), add dried malt extract and bring to a boil. Boil for 60 minutes, stirring in liquid malt extract for final 15 minutes of boil.

Poor Man's Barrel Option:

Don’t have the budget (or room) for a barrel? Try this “poor man’s” method of emulating some of the aspects of barrel aging. Conduct your primary fermentation in a bucket or ferment the beer with ale yeast, then rack it to a bucket — adding any “bugs” that may be called for. Buckets are more permeable to oxygen than barrels are, so let the beer condition in the bucket for only about 3 months, then rack it to a carboy for the remaining conditioning time. Two weeks before racking, take 3.0 oz. (85 g) of oak cubes (French oak, medium toast) and soak them in wine. Use Chardonnay for the Temptation clone, Pinot Noir for La Roja, Cabernet Sauvignon for Darth Porter and Burgundy or Meritage for Grand Cru and La Folie. Change wine every 3 days to lessen the intensity of the new oak. Add cubes when beer is racked to carboy.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member

Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubxj View Post
Well, brew day went good. Ended up with 10g of 1.067 wort, split the batch, and inoculated half with the dregs from 2 bottles of Temptation and 2 bottles of Cantillon.
did you pitch any other yeast?

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Quick Reply