Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Attempting Supplication clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #71
mmonacel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
I would hold off on using RR dregs because they use wine yeast on all but Supplication for priming.
According to their bottle logs, they appear to use Rockpile wine yeast for carbonation. I'm not sure what impact this has to the flavor or the value of the dregs, but good to at least know.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #72
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkade View Post
I actually looked into this in the fall and emailed Vinnie, etc. I brewed the beer at the end of September, and will probably consider starting to taste it later in the spring. I got similar information regarding the malt schedule, and formulated a recipe based on that.
Do you happen to have the email from him on it? What info was provided and what malt bill did you come up with?

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #73
BK1017
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm about to bottle my Supplication clone this weekend. I can't believe it's been 18 months since I started this project. From the one sample that I've drawn, it tastes great. Great vinous complexity. Will have to do a side by side taste test this fall sometime, after the bottles have had some time to mellow.

Also, I'm corking and caging the bottles to mimic the real thing. Once I get everything bottled I'll start another thread and detail my process and technique if anyone wants to try their own hand at this.

Fun project overall. I get a kick out of showing my non-beer drinking friends the awesomely disgusting pellicle this thing has formed.

Next up: Consecration kit from MoreBeer.

BK

Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #74
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1017 View Post
I'm about to bottle my Supplication clone this weekend. I can't believe it's been 18 months since I started this project. From the one sample that I've drawn, it tastes great. Great vinous complexity. Will have to do a side by side taste test this fall sometime, after the bottles have had some time to mellow.

Also, I'm corking and caging the bottles to mimic the real thing. Once I get everything bottled I'll start another thread and detail my process and technique if anyone wants to try their own hand at this.

Fun project overall. I get a kick out of showing my non-beer drinking friends the awesomely disgusting pellicle this thing has formed.

BK
I for one would be very interested in your grain bill, recipe, and process.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #75
bbarnumboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1017 View Post

BK
Care to Share how many Lbs of cherries and how many Oz of oak you used? Seems to be a lot of mixed amounts in this thread. I have had mine infected for about 2 months and still figuring out when and how much cherries and oak to put in. Here is my pellicle That has finally started to grow.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #76
BK1017
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarnumboy View Post
Care to Share how many Lbs of cherries and how many Oz of oak you used? Seems to be a lot of mixed amounts in this thread. I have had mine infected for about 2 months and still figuring out when and how much cherries and oak to put in. Here is my pellicle That has finally started to grow.

I added 5lbs of cherries (3lbs in puree form, 2lbs fresh frozen) and 2oz of oak (1oz american oak and 1oz french).
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #77
BK1017
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWillcox View Post
I for one would be very interested in your grain bill, recipe, and process.
Done! Happy brewing...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/supp...5/#post4220278

BK
Old 07-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #78
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks so much, I appreciate. Set to brew a Consecration Clone tomorrow, I suppose this will go next in line.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #79
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Update on my Supplication clone originally brewed 6/18/2011. It's tasting pretty fantastic. At this point it is over a year old. Today I pulled a sample as well as adding 4 pounds of fresh organic Washington Bing Cherries. Below are my notes:

6/18/2011 – OG was 1.084 before adding water. Collected 4 gallons and then added 1 gallon spring water to equal 5 gallons. The vial of Belgian Sour Mix 1 leaked during transit and was only half full. Went to the store and got another one and another Abbey Aleyeast b/c I forgot to make a starter. Pitched it all along with dregs from 2 bottles of RR Supplication. OG was 1.064 after water was added.

7/3/2011 – Had a huge fermentation then settled after about a week. Set the carboy in water to keep the temps down. Moved out of the water an on to the basement floor. Fermentation seems done, temps are around 68F. It has some nasty bubbles appearing on top. Good signs of an infection.

10/2/11 – Flushed a keg with CO2 3 times to purge O2 and transfered supplication clone. Then purged 3 more times to clear the head space. The gravity reading was 1.013. Reddish-brown in color. Sour aroma with some cherries and red-wine characteristics. A very tiny bit of the brown ale aroma comes through. Doesn’t taste like a brown for sure. Tart, light brown ale flavors and cherry. Not as sour as the aroma would lead you to believe. Some red wine characteristics. Interested to see how another year will effect his beer. The sour cherries would add a nice character to it.

1/30/2012 – Transferred the beer from the keg to a 6 gallon better bottle. Gravity reading was 1.012. A little bit or sourness and cherry in the nose even though cherries haven’t been added! A hint of the brown ale base beer. Very sour with some lactic-ness. This could be very very good. Sour cherries might make it too sour? Dark brown in color with a light-medium amount of light coming through. Taste is more sour than the aroma. Pretty dry and thin (in a good way). Come summer I will ad 3-5 lbs of fresh sour cherries for 3 months minimum.

7/7/12 - Added 4 Pounds of Washington Bing cherries. Gravity reading was 1.010. The taste is very simalr to 1/30/2012. A little bit of the base brown ale in the nose along with cherries and sourness (despite no cherries being in the beer). Not a hint of the base beer in the taste. Very sour, cherries, lactic, tart. Very dry. I'm hoping w/ the cherries and carbonation it will make a fantastic sour beer. It's certainly coming along much better than expected. Very excited. Will let it sit on the cherries until October (~ 3 months), then bottle with Rockpile wine yeast. I should note that I had the real version on draft today and it tastes very close to my version. I think I might skip the Pinot and oak chips.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #80
malevolent
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1.010 after adding the cherries or before?

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Ace_Club Likes This 

Quick Reply