New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Attempting Supplication clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
BK1017
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

@Womencantsail

Thanks so much! All the information I need!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by womencantsail View Post
I sent Vinnie an email about this sometime back. Here is my proposed recipe and his response:

86% Pale Malt (2 Row) US
4% Aromatic Malt
4% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4% Special B Malt
2% Chocolate Malt

OG: 1.060

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to actually brewing the beer yet.
Dude, Vinnie is the man. Not many brewers would divulge that much info about their beers. I need to try to brew this, I love Supplication.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA
Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
BK1017
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Here's what I quickly worked out on the BrewPal app here at work:

11lbs 2 row (86.3%)
0.5lb aromatic (3.9%)
0.5lb Crystal 40 (3.9%)
0.50lb Special B (3.9%)
0.25lb Chocolate (2.0%)

OG 1.063. Pretty straightforward malt bill. Now looking for an appropriate hop, although I know this is a very small portion of the overall taste of the beer. I'm not well versed in hop knowledge, but I was thinking a small 60 minute addition of a medium-high alpha acid variety would work. Northern brewer?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A friend of mine wanted me to brew him a keg of this for his wedding, being under the impression that absolutely EVERYONE likes sour beer. I did a little nosing, and scrapped my plans, but then stumbled on this thread and it added the last couple of pieces.

Based on what Vinnie divulged, this is how I'd go about banging out a 5 gallon batch (don't think you'd want 10 gallons of this, hehe...) basing it on the requirements for an Oud Bruin...

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%

Original Gravity: 1.063 (1.040 - 1.074)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.012)
Color: 21.51 (15.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 6.58% (4.0% - 8.0%)
Bitterness: 22.1 (20.0 - 25.0)

Ingredients:
11.0 lb American 2-row
1.0 lb Caramel Malt 40L
1.5 lb Vienna Malt
0.5 lb Carafa Special® TYPE III
1.0 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 45.0 min

Of course, add your whirlfloc and yeast nutrient. (This isn't an overly thick beer, we'd want to dry this out as much as possible.)

Nice starter of White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale, or pitch at least two vials, and aerate the crap out of it. Hit it with O2 if you have a tank/diffusion stone.

Give it about 3 weeks in primary, keeping it above 70 degrees for the yeasties to do their thing. Rack when it hits 1.012.

Here's where I get fuzzy. Vinnie says that when this comes off to secondary, he removes the yeast. I'm assuming he's doing that by pasteurization? Either way, I doubt it'd ruin the beer if it's just racked as you normally would.

You'll need a bigger carboy than 5 gallons, to accommodate the cherries, so grab yourself a 6.5 gallon one.

Into secondary, dump a package of Brett, and give it another couple of weeks.

Into secondary, dump 2.0 lb mashed cherries, as well as a package of Belgian Sour Mix 1. For a full effect, soak 1oz of oak chips in some pinot, and add those to the secondary as well. Let that chill for 2-3 months.

Rack to a keg, stash for 6 months before carbing.

Hugely labour intensive beer, and man, if I tapped that keg after a year or so and it tasted like arse, I wouldn't be a happy bunny!

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Removing yeast is usually by filtration. With the 530 you could crash it down to 33 for a week or so and it will drop very clear.

BW

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
BK1017
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What Brett strain is being pitched by RR after primary fermentation? Brux?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The Russian River page I linked earlier says 3 different strains of brett.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
Removing yeast is usually by filtration. With the 530 you could crash it down to 33 for a week or so and it will drop very clear.
Filtration.

*smacks head*

Dur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1017 View Post
What Brett strain is being pitched by RR after primary fermentation? Brux?
As Sumner mentioned, they use three different strains. Since they're going off White Labs' catalog, I'm guessing Claussenii, Brux, and Lambicus. If I were doing it, I'd use Brux for the initial hit, and then just a sour mix for aging. (Granted there's Sacch, Lacto, and Pedio as well as the Brett, so would probably end up being a ways from the original.)
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #19
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Filtration.

*smacks head*

Dur.

As Sumner mentioned, they use three different strains. Since they're going off White Labs' catalog, I'm guessing Claussenii, Brux, and Lambicus. If I were doing it, I'd use Brux for the initial hit, and then just a sour mix for aging. (Granted there's Sacch, Lacto, and Pedio as well as the Brett, so would probably end up being a ways from the original.)

I feel like I remember him saying he does White Labs for most of his primary strains, but that he likes the Wyeast Bretts... maybe one of the Brewing Network interviews?

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #20
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I actually looked into this in the fall and emailed Vinnie, etc. I brewed the beer at the end of September, and will probably consider starting to taste it later in the spring. I got similar information regarding the malt schedule, and formulated a recipe based on that. I actually just used US-01 for primary fermentation after a mash at 158. I started at 1.064, transferred to secondary in a week at 1.013 (a little lower than I wanted, but such is life). Into the secondary I added a starter made from Supplication dregs, along with the White Labs sour mix vial. Also I put in 3 lbs of cherries (Oregon Fruit), and 1 oz French oak cubes that had been boiled for 5 minutes, and then aged in Pinot Noir (a pretty good bottle, too) for 6 weeks. I also made to sure seal the container the chips were stored in with teflon tape after backfilling with CO2 to be sure that the wine wouldn't turn to vinegar while the chips were hanging out for a month. Anyways, the base beer (1.013 sample) was a pretty tasty brown ale with a little sweetness. In the meantime, some action has definitely been happening in the secondary fermenter. However, I haven't noticed a real good pellicle yet. At one point the bubbler got clogged, so when I changed it out I quickly took a whiff and the beer smelled fantastic, like a great Batch 4 aroma. Anyways, the secondary will continue to hang out in my (temp stable) closet until the summer or fall. Hopefully I will remember to report results back. Our plan is to bottle cork the brews at the end of this.

Quick Reply