Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Attempting Supplication clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #101
lawnboy881
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks. I came to my senses and realize RSWHAHB. Mine is in a BB, just added Brett Sunday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #102
monkeybox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 42

What's wrong with using the buckets for extended aging? Is it just the grommet?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #103
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybox View Post
What's wrong with using the buckets for extended aging? Is it just the grommet?
No sir, plastic buckets have a much higher level of micro oxygenation (permeation)... Many have done tests with it and truly believe that buckets are fine for sours under a year, but you might get a tiny acetic character.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #104
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
No sir, plastic buckets have a much higher level of micro oxygenation (permeation)... Many have done tests with it and truly believe that buckets are fine for sours under a year, but you might get a tiny acetic character.
My concern has always been less about the oxygen that permeates through the plastic, and more about an ill-seated lid. If your lid isn't completely sealed and you allow the free-exchange of gases inside and outside of the fermentor, that's where you'll be in real danger of making a 5 gallon batch of malt vinegar.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #105
lawnboy881
Recipes 

Brewed this recipe 12/30/12. Fermented according to BK1017 post/schedule but my gravity is only down to 1.020. Sample today is very vinous, dominated by the pinot noir added. I know we're still early on, but planned on adding the Sour Mix in a couple of weeks. Should I pitch more Abbey Ale to get it lower, or just not worry and pitch the Sour Mix?

Any opinions are welcome...

Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #106
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy881
Brewed this recipe 12/30/12. Fermented according to BK1017 post/schedule but my gravity is only down to 1.020. Sample today is very vinous, dominated by the pinot noir added. I know we're still early on, but planned on adding the Sour Mix in a couple of weeks. Should I pitch more Abbey Ale to get it lower, or just not worry and pitch the Sour Mix?

Any opinions are welcome...
Sour mix now. 1.020 sounds perfect, give the bugs plenty of sugars

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #107
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I brewed 12 gallons of a Supplication clone over a year ago and it turned out horrible. Overpowering ethyl acetate. It sat in carboys the whole time with an airlock. I added oak cubes after the dried cherries had been in there which I believe was the problem. The cherries were floating on top so when the oak cubes were added, they sat on top of the cherries. I tried gently stirring the oak cubes through the cherries and I think that's what ruined the beer. It tasted good before I added the cubes. It was a pretty expensive beer to make and will probably get dumped sadly.

Next: Heavy Hopper v2
Fermenting: RIS, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #108
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Let it ferment out -23 weeks, then rack it to secondary onto .5 oz of French oak and 1 cup or two of Pinot Noir. Leave it along for 6-12 months before adding the sour cherries, that will give the bugs time to become the dominant organisms so you are feeding them not the Sacch. Something like 1 lb per gallon is probably enough, I like to freeze/defrost them first to breakdown the cell walls. Give it 2-6 months on the fruit, then bottle with some fresh wine yeast or Brett, and enough sugar for medium carbonation.
Sorry to dig up a potentially old thread, but I've had my base beer in primary for approximately 2 weeks now. I haven't added the brett or bugs yet. Just pitched Abbey Ale yeast. I'm planning on taking a gravity reading this weekend and then adding three strains of brett.

I see Mike (Oldsock) recommends letting this beer sit in primary for ~ 23 weeks.

While I've never experienced autolysis in a batch before, I've also never left a batch in primary for 23 weeks.

Does the addition of the brett and bugs lessen the chances for autolysis or is 6 months at the homebrew scale not enough time to really cause autolysis?

Would appreciate any feedback possible. I'm wondering if I should rack to secondary before adding the brett and bugs. If I did, then I'd have to rack again when I had the cherries & pinot soaked french oak.

Thanks in advance - Matt

Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #109
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
Sorry to dig up a potentially old thread, but I've had my base beer in primary for approximately 2 weeks now. I haven't added the brett or bugs yet. Just pitched Abbey Ale yeast. I'm planning on taking a gravity reading this weekend and then adding three strains of brett.

I see Mike (Oldsock) recommends letting this beer sit in primary for ~ 23 weeks.

While I've never experienced autolysis in a batch before, I've also never left a batch in primary for 23 weeks.

Does the addition of the brett and bugs lessen the chances for autolysis or is 6 months at the homebrew scale not enough time to really cause autolysis?

Would appreciate any feedback possible. I'm wondering if I should rack to secondary before adding the brett and bugs. If I did, then I'd have to rack again when I had the cherries & pinot soaked french oak.

Thanks in advance - Matt
I think that was a bit of a typo meaning to say 2-3 weeks, not 23 weeks. See the dash before the numbers?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #110
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
I think that was a bit of a typo meaning to say 2-3 weeks, not 23 weeks. See the dash before the numbers?
Exactly, sorry about that (especially considering Russian River's weird thing with the number 23). Just wait until the beer has dropped mostly clear, Vinnie is a big believer of "clean" beer going into the barrels.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply