Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Artificially aging hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1058 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I did something similar with Tett pellet hops. I put them in my coffee grinder to pulverize. This is critical so that you exponentially increase the surface area. From there, I put the powder in a paper lunch bag and stashed in my 120F attic for 2 weeks. You can probably just smash the pellets with a hammer while they are still in the plastic bag.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

3 years is kind of the rule of thumb when talking about leaf hops. In Wild Brews they do talk about pellet hops though, since there are becoming the main source of hops a lot of breweries have switched to them even for these uses. If I remember he said the typical waiting period for pellets hops is 5-6 years, so it takes about twice as long for the same results.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #13
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have done this exact process with some saaz pellets. While I agree with Bobby that more surface are is better, I didn't bother. In whole form the pellets seemed to artificially age as good.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
wetherel
Recipes 

Do you think sour beers taste better with aged hops, or do you think people just do it for historical purposes. I'm not a big fan of oxidized hops in other beer styles, so I've chosen to leave them out of my sours. Also I fear my beers won't get that sour when the hops (aged or fresh) inhibit lactobacillus, so I leave them out. I could count on pedio to get the sourness, but then I fear diacetyl. So I've been brewing/fermenting sour beers without hops (and with lacto and no pedio) for 3-12 months, then adding the hop bitterness and aroma back in with a hop tea closer to bottling/kegging time. It becomes another variable when blending.

Quick Reply