Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #61
kaips1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle

Loosely related to that beer in that I loved it and found it inspiring, but I was not thinking about it when I designed this recipe. Like someone else mentioned, Anchorage's beer is not an all-brett, and mine was not a single hop beer.

Mine turned out great, more tart than I expected, big complex fruity citrus and melon and hay and lots of wheat in the background. I would reduce the amount of wheat in my recipe next time. There's also a slightly unpleasant floral, almost grassy element to the bitterness, which I think came from dry-hopping for two weeks, not from the yeast.
Still sounds tasty, I wish my iris inspired would finish out so I could bottle it, it smells insanely good with a citra hop dry hop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #62
kaips1
Recipes 

I'm bottling my iris inspired tonight, I checked the gravity this morning and its at 1.002. The aroma is insane, some cantillon, fresh flowers, fresh cut citrus fruit. Ill be shooting for 1.5-2 vols of CO2. Ill post a pic or two tonight.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #63
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaips1
i'm bottling my iris inspired tonight, i checked the gravity this morning and its at 1.002. The aroma is insane, some cantillon, fresh flowers, fresh cut citrus fruit. Ill be shooting for 1.5-2 vols of co2. Ill post a pic or two tonight.

image-633414003.jpg

Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #64
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I made a simple wort on 7/4/2013 and split half with C3 and half with some repitched Roselare. The C3 version has been stuck at about 1.020 for about six weeks. Anyone have any ideas or should i, as they say "let it ride".

Pilsner Malt 6.25 lb 58 %
White Wheat 4.0 lb 37 %
Maltodextrine 8.0 oz 4 %

Aged Willamette 2.0 oz 60min

Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #65
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a blend of C1, 2 and 3 I got from a friend. I did a big 4L starter for 3 days until krausen dropped. I was planning on another 3 day, 2L starter and pitching into a single hopped Calypso IPA (Maris mostly with a dash of C-40 and Carapils). Does that sound like enough steps? I'm not real sure of cell count but I had about a third of a pint jar of slurry maybe half yeast, when I began. Is there any way I can tell by volume a rough cell count?

Beer it's what's for dinner

Check out my homebrew documentary

Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #66
vehicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In my experience of using brett by making step starters without a stir plate and just guessing at the cell count, underpitching can produce some pretty nasty off flavors (burning plastic, smoking electrical wiring). Your big 4L starter with another 2L added sounds like good volume, but I might throw in one more step just to give it some additional time to adjust to all that starter wort and get up to full count since you didn't start with all that much slurry. I would rather overpitch than underpitch with brett.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #67
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle
In my experience of using brett by making step starters without a stir plate and just guessing at the cell count, underpitching can produce some pretty nasty off flavors (burning plastic, smoking electrical wiring). Your big 4L starter with another 2L added sounds like good volume, but I might throw in one more step just to give it some additional time to adjust to all that starter wort and get up to full count since you didn't start with all that much slurry. I would rather overpitch than underpitch with brett.
Thanks. As it worked out, I will do just that. I was gonna brew with it this weekend but got rained out. I will do a Calypso IPA with it next weekend after one more step.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #68
kaips1
Recipes 

i tasted my c2 brew the other day after 6 months from brew day. the recipe wasnt fortified with adjuncts and i didnt mash at high temps, its built more like a brett ipa. It tastes and smells like lambic lite. I cant wait to try it on a hot day when summer comes. I plan to use it as a solo yeast again but with a more lambic like malt bill.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #69
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Planning on tasting my c3 tonight. The malt bill was a lambic that I split off 2.5 gallons to pitch 100% Brett so it should be a pretty yeast driven flavor profile. Bottled with Belgian Candi Syrup. I'll post results tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #70
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finished mine and am a bit underwhelmed. I'm not sure if it is the yeast or the hops (first brew with Calypso) but it was earthier than I had hoped. I don't think pitching rate was an issue, it took off like a rocket and attenuated down to 1.01. It just didn't turn out like i hoped. Not bad or anything but not great either. Back to WLP Trois!

Quick Reply