Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #51
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle View Post
Just wondering if anyone else out here participated in the yeast exchange with Dmitri from BKYeast.wordpress.com and hoping to collect different experiences and observations here in one place, like the fantastic thread on Brett Drie. I have seen one other blogger (jeffreycrane.blogspot.com) who made some starters with them and his descriptions varied significantly from Dmitri's initial observations.

So far I have only woken up the first strain and used it as a primary strain in a wit style beer. 5# pils, 5# wheat, .5# rolled oats, and 30 IBU's of late addition Citra and Galaxy hops. OG was 1.057 and I pitched a healthy 1600 ml starter. It was very slow to start and I ended up pitching another 1000 ml starter after 4 days.

Since then it took off and the airlock has been very aromatic, progressing from lemon and green apple to an intense funky, ripe melon and tropical mango. It's been in primary for 2 weeks now, and it's only down to 1.030, but the sample tastes great. Citrus, apples, and some pleasant acidity.

I'm planning to try this strain with either WY3711 or 3944 next.

Does anyone else have any data to share?
Sorry to hijack.

Did you model this beer after Anchorage Brewings Galaxy White IPA, and if so how did it compare?

Cheers

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #52
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2173 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post
Sorry to hijack.

Did you model this beer after Anchorage Brewings Galaxy White IPA, and if so how did it compare?

Cheers
Galaxy is a whit strain primary and then bottled with brett, so the flavor profile is going to be very different. It's the only clone I've tried so far and I've got to say the kumquats seem key. I subbed oranges and I think it made a big difference. That and Gabe Fletcher is just a really talented brewer.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #53
kaips1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibb
I'm ordering ordering some C3 from him ASAP (seems he still has some stock) but he's out of C2. I REALLY wanna get my hands on some C2, does anyone have a culture I can get? I can pay ya, trade beer, etc. It doesn't even have to be a vial or anything, just a bottle of beer with some of the bretties floating around is fine!
Please let me know!!!
If you get c3, I can trade you some c2 for some c3

Old 06-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #54
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have c1 and c2, ISO c3. Would love to do a 3 way comparison.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #55
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just got an email back - no C3 right now though I guess I'm on a waiting list hah

Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #56
Spillsaw
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm ordering ordering some C3 from him ASAP (seems he still has some stock) but he's out of C2. I REALLY wanna get my hands on some C2, does anyone have a culture I can get? I can pay ya, trade beer, etc. It doesn't even have to be a vial or anything, just a bottle of beer with some of the bretties floating around is fine!
Please let me know!!!
I can send you out a bottle of my Single Hop: Mosaic (C2) when I send Dmitri (BKYeast) his. I bottled it last week, so I plan on shipping two weeks.

Let me know...always open to a beer trade.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #57
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I appreciate it, though someone is already helping me get some c2 - I would totally be willing to trade anyone for some C3 at this point. I've considered sending dimitri a box of sterile vials at this point hah

Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #58
Spillsaw
Recipes 

Quote:
I appreciate it, though someone is already helping me get some c2 - I would totally be willing to trade anyone for some C3 at this point. I've considered sending dimitri a box of sterile vials at this point hah
I just got C3 in the mail today.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 06-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #59
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillsaw

I just got C3 in the mail today.
I wish I was you

Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #60
vehicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post
Sorry to hijack.

Cheers
Loosely related to that beer in that I loved it and found it inspiring, but I was not thinking about it when I designed this recipe. Like someone else mentioned, Anchorage's beer is not an all-brett, and mine was not a single hop beer.

Mine turned out great, more tart than I expected, big complex fruity citrus and melon and hay and lots of wheat in the background. I would reduce the amount of wheat in my recipe next time. There's also a slightly unpleasant floral, almost grassy element to the bitterness, which I think came from dry-hopping for two weeks, not from the yeast.

Quick Reply