Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
Spillsaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaips1

When did you brew this? It sounds amazing, this starter will potentially be used as a primary. Does anyone know how long this yeast takes to finish out? I also intend to take some of this and some Brett trois and pitch equal sized starters and see how it goes. I'm interested to see how yours turns out.
I brewed it last week, but I just checked my notes and I'm getting my beers all mixed up. I think I might have too many beers going right now.
Here's what I ended up brewing with the C2. I thought about dry hopping this beer too, but I feel like I'ld be losing all ability to pick up on what this yeast contributes. Never used Mosaic before, so I figured I'd kill two birds one stone.

Brett BK C2

Style: Blonde Ale OG: 1.056
Type: FG: ?
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.11 %
Calories: 185 IBU's: 52.90
Efficiency: 80 % Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 4.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.052 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.50 lbs 63.41 % Weyermann Pilsner
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Briess Rye Malt
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Weyermann Munich I
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Wheat Malt, Bel
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Oats, Flaked
0.25 lbs 2.44 % Weyermann Acidulated

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.69 Mosaic First Wort 12.70
1.00 ozs 15.62 Mosaic 10 mins 12.70
1.00 ozs 8.59 Mosaic 5 mins 12.70

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #22
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillsaw

I brewed it last week, but I just checked my notes and I'm getting my beers all mixed up. I think I might have too many beers going right now.
Here's what I ended up brewing with the C2. I thought about dry hopping this beer too, but I feel like I'ld be losing all ability to pick up on what this yeast contributes. Never used Mosaic before, so I figured I'd kill two birds one stone.

Brett BK C2

Style: Blonde Ale OG: 1.056
Type: FG: ?
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.11 %
Calories: 185 IBU's: 52.90
Efficiency: 80 % Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 4.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.052 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.50 lbs 63.41 % Weyermann Pilsner
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Briess Rye Malt
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Weyermann Munich I
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Wheat Malt, Bel
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Oats, Flaked
0.25 lbs 2.44 % Weyermann Acidulated

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.69 Mosaic First Wort 12.70
1.00 ozs 15.62 Mosaic 10 mins 12.70
1.00 ozs 8.59 Mosaic 5 mins 12.70
Your recipe looks solid and definitely something that could stand some age too. Do you keg or bottle? I'm just curious if you are going to let this ferment for awhile ?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #23
Spillsaw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaips1
Your recipe looks solid and definitely something that could stand some age too. Do you keg or bottle? I'm just curious if you are going to let this ferment for awhile ?
I normally keg, but I'll be bottling this one. I made a Brett Trois IPA awhile ago legged half and bottled the rest. The bottles have definitely improved with age.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #24
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillsaw

I normally keg, but I'll be bottling this one. I made a Brett Trois IPA awhile ago legged half and bottled the rest. The bottles have definitely improved with age.
I hear ya, my Brett trois pale is getting better day by day. Can't wait to brew this weekend.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #25
kaips1
Recipes 

Brewing a batch tomorrow and using c2 as a primary with nice hop bursting additions. Can't wait to get started.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #26
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Has any one used the C1 isolate? I made a starter of it and it smelled very much like vomit. A quick google search yielded that some Brett can smell like vomit in starters but it should not carry over into the actual fermented beer. I made a 10 gallon batch of a "Nightmare on Brett Street" clone and split it in two carboys. One is using the C1 isolate the other WLP Brett Trois.

The C1 has been going for 24 hours and is just starting to get active, but when I smell the beer with the airlock out I am getting the vomit smell again. Anyone else experience this with the C1 Isolate from BKYeast.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #27
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcBrewer35 View Post
Has any one used the C1 isolate? I made a starter of it and it smelled very much like vomit. A quick google search yielded that some Brett can smell like vomit in starters but it should not carry over into the actual fermented beer. I made a 10 gallon batch of a "Nightmare on Brett Street" clone and split it in two carboys. One is using the C1 isolate the other WLP Brett Trois.

The C1 has been going for 24 hours and is just starting to get active, but when I smell the beer with the airlock out I am getting the vomit smell again. Anyone else experience this with the C1 Isolate from BKYeast.
I emailed BKYeast with this question and here is the response I received:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKYeast
"I've heard from other people that C1 smells like vomit in the beginning, but then becomes really fruity/overripe lemons and honeydew. I haven't smelled my airlock when I used C1, but in the end it was a citrusy/honeydew/wet hay/funk character.
When I used C3, for the first week or so it smelled absolutely horrible (vomit) to be suddenly replaced by explosive pineapple so I think it's just a stage that's going to pass soon. It may be related to the amount you pitched. I think when you don't pitch enough, they initially produce that, but it's just a theory and speculation.
I hope your beer will turn out well.
Cheers!"
I just smelled the beer again and the vomit smell is now very faint, its almost non-existant, things look promising!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #28
kaips1
Recipes 

Has anybody noticed anything interesting with their c2 fermentation? I made a starter of about 2L's and pitched it Saturday and haven't seen any airlock activity, needless to say I got a little worried and opened the bucket lid to see about an inch of krausen but still no airlock activity. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #29
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2173 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

I can't remember what the vomit compound is, oh heck I'll walk to the bookshelf....there isn't a 'vomit' in the wild brews chart, maybe that's a mix of butyric, isobutyric, and isovaleric? Those are all acids, so would that would mean the strain is creating acids and then changing them into esters?

I really need to send Dmitri the beers I promised.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #30
Spillsaw
Recipes 

I took a sample of my C2 Mosaic Blonde brewed 5/14 and it has fermented down to 1.000 in two weeks. OG was 1.056 and I was hoping for something at a session strength. Big tropical fruit/berry flavor (I attribute the berry end to the C2) I definitely notice a woody note too. The mouthfeel is thin, but the flavor holds up against it. I'll let this sit two more weeks and then I'll bottle it.

I've been considering brewing up a Doppelsticke (Double Alt) to put on the yeast cake. I'm curious what a malt forward beer will taste like with C2

-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply