Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I've got samples of all three, haven't found time to do anything with them yet though...

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
vehicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine finally dropped to 1.015, no sign of a pellicle in primary or secondary after a total of 10 weeks (4 primary, 6 secondary). I decided to dry hop and prepare to bottle. As soon as the hop sack went in, a pellicle started cropping up. I left the hops on for two weeks and then bottled at 1.014 with no priming sugar to allow the brett to carbonate naturally based on the remaining gravity. After three weeks it is still not to the carbonation level I would like, but it's getting there.

The beer has a solid wheat body and background for the brett, though I would back off on the wheat a little bit for my next all brett. The flavor is a very complex subtle combination of honeydew, lemon, tropical fruit, and a light wet-hay funk. The nose is explosively tropical and really jumps out of the glass, likely from the hops, but I think this strain is a winner.

Next batch I'm putting it alongside the Wyeast French Saison. After that I'm planning to wake up my C2 and try a bigger starter this time for another 100% brett.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
vehicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I've got samples of all three, haven't found time to do anything with them yet though...
I'm looking forward to seeing your results when you get around to it.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
NcBrewer35
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I have C1 & C2. I have only used the C1 thus far. I used some of it in a Saison that was mixed with WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend. I will be adding Zante currants to this and letting it sit at least another 9 months.

I am also brewing a 10 gallon batch of a Nightmare on Brett Street clone that I will split into 2 carboys. I will use the C1 in one of them and Brett Trois in the other.

Not sure what to do with the C2 yet. I was thinking of doing a Flanders Red style that I will pitch primarily with the new WLP Flanders Blend but will probably add some of the C2 yeast to after a month or so of initial fermentation.

Looking forward to getting the C3 as well.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just got a vial of c2 that I am stepping up and planning on doing a combo of it and Brett trois on the next ipa. I plan on keeping this yeast around for lots of experiments.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2189 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Tasted my c1, c2, c3 blend beer yesterday. The grist is simple, 94% 6-Row 'Heritage' Malt, 6% oat malt. 10ish IBU of Saaz. Started at 1.053 about a month ago, down to 1.008. Hard to describe, at least for me. Spicy, but not in a black pepper way, slight yeast tartness like some whit or farmhouse strains, maybe some stone fruit - definitely sweet, but hard to put my finger on it. Pulled a sample a week ago (1.011) and it had a root beer / cream soda thing going on.

Going to add some bugs. I'd go straight pedio/lacto, but I don't have pedio on it's own, only in blends with sacc/lacto/brett. Might add one of those or dreg it, I haven't been able to decide.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
kaips1
Recipes 

My c2 has been in the plate for over 48 hrs and anytime I turn it off it tries to grow a pellicle. Just by looking at my starter I'd say its doubled in size easily, I love the aroma coming off of it, smells like a bottle on Cantillon. Hopefully using it this weekend.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
Spillsaw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaips1
My c2 has been in the plate for over 48 hrs and anytime I turn it off it tries to grow a pellicle. Just by looking at my starter I'd say its doubled in size easily, I love the aroma coming off of it, smells like a bottle on Cantillon. Hopefully using it this weekend.
+1
The pellicle in my starter grew thick and quick when I turned it off.
I ended up brewing a single hopped Mosaic American Wheat with 8% Oats and a touch of acid malt. Pitched a 1200ml starter at 70 and it took about 18 hours to show any signs of activity. The initial dominant smell was of sulphur, but now I'm getting the strawberry notes.
Looking forward to trying it.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #19
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillsaw

+1
The pellicle in my starter grew thick and quick when I turned it off.
I ended up brewing a single hopped Mosaic American Wheat with 8% Oats and a touch of acid malt. Pitched a 1200ml starter at 70 and it took about 18 hours to show any signs of activity. The initial dominant smell was of sulphur, but now I'm getting the strawberry notes.
Looking forward to trying it.
When did you brew this? It sounds amazing, this starter will potentially be used as a primary. Does anyone know how long this yeast takes to finish out? I also intend to take some of this and some Brett trois and pitch equal sized starters and see how it goes. I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have all three and have stepped them up but have yet to brew. I'll post results.

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Quick Reply