The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
vehicle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

Just wondering if anyone else out here participated in the yeast exchange with Dmitri from BKYeast.wordpress.com and hoping to collect different experiences and observations here in one place, like the fantastic thread on Brett Drie. I have seen one other blogger (jeffreycrane.blogspot.com) who made some starters with them and his descriptions varied significantly from Dmitri's initial observations.

So far I have only woken up the first strain and used it as a primary strain in a wit style beer. 5# pils, 5# wheat, .5# rolled oats, and 30 IBU's of late addition Citra and Galaxy hops. OG was 1.057 and I pitched a healthy 1600 ml starter. It was very slow to start and I ended up pitching another 1000 ml starter after 4 days.

Since then it took off and the airlock has been very aromatic, progressing from lemon and green apple to an intense funky, ripe melon and tropical mango. It's been in primary for 2 weeks now, and it's only down to 1.030, but the sample tastes great. Citrus, apples, and some pleasant acidity.

I'm planning to try this strain with either WY3711 or 3944 next.

Does anyone else have any data to share?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle
Just wondering if anyone else out here participated in the yeast exchange with Dmitri from BKYeast.wordpress.com and hoping to collect different experiences and observations here in one place, like the fantastic thread on Brett Drie. I have seen one other blogger (jeffreycrane.blogspot.com) who made some starters with them and his descriptions varied significantly from Dmitri's initial observations.

So far I have only woken up the first strain and used it as a primary strain in a wit style beer. 5# pils, 5# wheat, .5# rolled oats, and 30 IBU's of late addition Citra and Galaxy hops. OG was 1.057 and I pitched a healthy 1600 ml starter. It was very slow to start and I ended up pitching another 1000 ml starter after 4 days.

Since then it took off and the airlock has been very aromatic, progressing from lemon and green apple to an intense funky, ripe melon and tropical mango. It's been in primary for 2 weeks now, and it's only down to 1.030, but the sample tastes great. Citrus, apples, and some pleasant acidity.

I'm planning to try this strain with either WY3711 or 3944 next.

Does anyone else have any data to share?
How long did you let your 1st starter go for? 1600 ml doesn't sounds like enough to me, especially if you didn't have it on a plate for a week.

Recipe sounds great! Brett white ipa-ish with citra and galaxy makes my mouth water.

I haven't used these strains as primary yeast, yet. Have added to secondary on two beers, a saison I'm bottling tonight and a rhubarb wheat that's got months to go. Hard to give specific feedback since the saison has several sacc strains, another Brett, and lacto.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Guden
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made an all Brett beer with the C2 after stepping it up with a few starters. The flavor seems pretty similar to what BKYeast described it as (wild strawberries) with some berry fruitiness mixed with woody character and a little sourness.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
vehicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
How long did you let your 1st starter go for?
I stepped that starter up 400 ml at a time on my stir plate over a period of a little more than a week, so I'm pretty sure the starter was healthy. This just seems to be a slow fermenting strain.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
vehicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guden View Post
I made an all Brett beer with the C2 after stepping it up with a few starters. The flavor seems pretty similar to what BKYeast described it as (wild strawberries) with some berry fruitiness mixed with woody character and a little sourness.
Interesting, that sounds delicious. I'd like to try this strain with some Maris Otter. How long did this take to ferment? What was your OG?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Guden
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle

Interesting, that sounds delicious. I'd like to try this strain with some Maris Otter. How long did this take to ferment? What was your OG?
The beer I made was actually mostly Maris Otter after seeing the description on the blog. OG was around 1.049 and the beer reached a FG of 1.010 after about a month (was down to 1.012 after about a week but that next month both brought it down a couple points and really enhanced the flavor). Formed a pretty crazy looking pellicle with lots of big bubbles. Half has been bottled straight and is pleasant if unspectacular, the rest will be going on fruit (I'm currently leaning blackberry but haven't fully decided).

Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

No data here as this is the first I've heard of it. I'd def try something out on the next go round though.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Spillsaw
Recipes 

Just made up a 650ml starter of C2 yesterday. Also a 650ml of Stillwater Premium dregs. Will report back on the C2 later on.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Glad you posted this. Just contacted him to get either C2 or C3. Looking forward to trying it out.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

I have the C1 and C2 in stock with plans to continue my side by side Brett experiment:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/gre...riment-401898/

I will post my results in both threads.

I'm currently brewing beers for my wedding in July. This may be one ( or two, side by side ) if its ready...

Quick Reply