Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Any commercial suggestions for a noob?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
emr454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any commercial suggestions for a noob?

I am interested in wild, or spontaneous-fermented beers, as I have a batch of wine that I made last year through spontaneous fermentation. Are there any commercial examples that would be good for someone who's not yet sure if they like wild beers? Thanks a bunch!

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I believe that Cantillon is one of the few spontaneously fermented beers that is around these days AFAIK. Allagash should be coming out with one soon, but I am not sure when... Watch out for sticker shock on the Cantillon(IMO)...

Last edited by nealf; 06-12-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: I added as far as I know.. in case I am wrong!!!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Can't go wrong with anything Cantillon makes, but as nealf was saying they definitely don't give it away.

I heart sour beer

Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
emr454
Recipes 

Hmmm, after reading the reviews of Cantillon on ratebeer.com, I'm not so sure I'd like it. Alot of folks put down vinegar smell and taste and I cant stand the stuff! Other than that it might be ok.

Eric

Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

grab some Rodenbach, the blended version might be a better try than the Grand Cru for a sour newb though

Jolly Pumpkin also has some toned down wild beers, Calabaza Blanca, Oro de Calabaza

Duchesse de Bourgogne is another Flanders Red (like rodenbach) and is blended and more toned down

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is a pretty good gueuze, and its cheaper than cantillon etc, unlike lindemans fruit "lambics" this one is unfiltered/unpasteurized and is a traditional gueuze, very sour and somewhat funky

Old 06-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
grab some Rodenbach, the blended version might be a better try than the Grand Cru for a sour newb though

Jolly Pumpkin also has some toned down wild beers, Calabaza Blanca, Oro de Calabaza

Duchesse de Bourgogne is another Flanders Red (like rodenbach) and is blended and more toned down

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is a pretty good gueuze, and its cheaper than antillon etc, unlike lindemans fruit "lambics" this one is unfiltered/unpasteurized and is a traditional gueuze, very sour and somewhat funky
I'd stay away from Duchesse and Rodenbach, or any other Flanders if you don't want the vinegar flavors though. A gueuze or kriek would give you a nice introduction to sours without the vinegar. Cuvee Rene gueuze is a great suggestion, though I'd stay away from the other Lindemans stuff.

Also, where are you located? There are some American breweries making great wild ales these days that you might be able to get too.

I heart sour beer

Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post
I'd stay away from Duchesse and Rodenbach, or any other Flanders if you don't want the vinegar flavors though.
the blended versions arent too acetic, especially duchesse, and are fairly sweet, but I do love Rodenbach grand cru, and other extremely sour/funky beers so my palate may be more insensitive to the lower levels in the blended versions

come to think of it, Monks cafe is another toned down beer

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
emr454
Recipes 

I'm in central NY, and there is a large food chain, Wegmans, that stocks all sorts of craft and imported beer. I've seen Lindeman's there but have always passed by it. I've been to Brewery Ommegang and Middle Ages, but neither of them make wild ales I believe.

Eric

Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts

Rodenbach GrandCru is a good sour beer. Try it and if you appreciate it you will like many different beers with a sour character.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

There are also a few out there that are 100% Brett beers. Although not spontaneously fermented, it can give you an idea of what that yeast brings to the party. Victory's Wild Devil and Ommegang's Ommegeddon are two I really like. also, look out for anything labeled Geuze. I ran across a small bottle at my grocery store (which has a great beer selection) called Oud Beersel Geuze. It was quite nice, but a little pricey.

Quick Reply