Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Any body brew sour beers in "plastic"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2205 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Sours do well in barrels and they let in a lot more air than a bucket should.
Only the small hobbyist barrels are more O2 permeable than buckets, at least according to the table in wild brews.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
lebucheron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I read somewhere on here that a tiny amount of 02 that is let through a plastic bucket keeps a sour from being boring, gives it a little something. The guy won an award with the one, and figured the one he did in the glass carboy wasn't as good for this reason. I don't know personally though, I'm a noob who reads a lot of forum posts and wishes the search function could pull this thread out for you...
edit -
"For a homebrewer, no extra special equipment is needed. While oak is desired for its oxygen transporting abilities — and widely used in commercial brewing — plastic is an acceptable substitute as it has a permeable membrane allowing oxygen transport as well. If plastic buckets are used, oak chips can be added as a flavoring compound that also provides some tannins."
From this article
http://byo.com/recipe-calculations/i...-from-the-pros
Not the one I was looking for but I hope it helps.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
It seems that wooden barrels would let in a lot of O2, but it is actually quite the opposite, by volume a 5 gallon bucket is about 27x more oxygen permeable than a 55-60 gallon wine barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Only the small hobbyist barrels are more O2 permeable than buckets, at least according to the table in wild brews.
This. In Wild Brews, Sparrow cites this Raj Apte table from a powerpoint on his website (screencap below).

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison
People Like This 
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron View Post
I read somewhere on here that a tiny amount of 02 that is let through a plastic bucket keeps a sour from being boring, gives it a little something. The guy won an award with the one, and figured the one he did in the glass carboy wasn't as good for this reason. I don't know personally though, I'm a noob who reads a lot of forum posts and wishes the search function could pull this thread out for you...

I think you might be referring to AmandaK's Lambic thread. She did start her award winner out in plastic for primary but then transferred to glass for aging, if I recall correctly. Her second one that wasn't as good was glass all the way and she attributed the difference to the O2 permeability of the plastic during primary. But I don't believe she aged either in plastic (I didn't go back and reread the thread so I could be wrong.)

I would think Better Bottles would be a pretty good bet-ever so slightly O2 permeable but not nearly as much so as plastic buckets.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
If you get a good seal and don't open it, plastic buckets are fine. Have a bad seal or keep opening it, and I think you are asking for trouble.

I've done several in plastic (not buckets) and they have been fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
todd46
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I just tasted an 8-month old sour brown I have in a bucket - going strong with no problems.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd46 View Post
Yeah, I just tasted an 8-month old sour brown I have in a bucket - going strong with no problems.
How much headspace do you have? Just wondering. I have an older Ale Pale I have been thinking about retiring, maybe this would be good retirement for it.

Primary: House Bitter
Bottled: Can't keep track
Up coming beers:

Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
todd46
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82

How much headspace do you have? Just wondering. I have an older Ale Pale I have been thinking about retiring, maybe this would be good retirement for it.
Quite a bit really, standard 5-gallon batch so there's probably a good 5 inches of headspace in the bucket. This is also an older Ale Pale, so its been around the block, but when I opened it today no pellicle even. It has a good seal. This batch is with Roeselare and to be honest it hardly had any sour notes at 8 months, certainly no acetic character. I say go for it, put that Ale Pale to work.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
mbbarnes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was recently listening to The Brewing Network Podcast where Jamil was discussing his method for brewing his award winning Flanders Red. He mentions that he ferments with yeast first, then racks to a plastic bucket and pitches Roselare. Jamil leaves the beer in the plastic bucket for 6 months then racks to a carboy for a further 6 months aging. If I remember correctly, he claimed the bucket provided the optimal oxygen for pelicle formation and slight acedic flavor he wanted.
Podcast
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/mem...il01-29-07.mp3

Recipe
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...dersRedAle.htm

Quick Reply