New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Any body brew sour beers in "plastic"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Any body brew sour beers in "plastic"?

I have a lot of fermenters; loads of buckets, a couple 14 gallon drums, and a Stainless Steel Blichmann.

I want to brew a sour but I really don't want to use the Conical for the many months it takes for a sour to set up.

I also don't want to risk contaminating it, forcing me to clean it over and over trying to get the "little beasties" out.

I don't use carboys (they are a pain to clean) so I have none available and I have never had a problem with oxidization. I usually only let my ales sit no more than 6 weeks in plastic and then keg.

SO: I want to dedicate a few buckets to SOUR production.

I was wondering if any one does this?

I ask because I think the amount of O2 that passes through the plastic will not cause a problem for an "active beer".

Happy Friday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
DisturbdChemist
It's Beermans World!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1242 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 538

I think that will not be a problem. Just label the buckets and only use them for souring not your regular beers. I think it'll will hold the O2 out of the beer if you do not open them much during the process

I do not have a drinking problem. Unless I'm out of beer...

"Alcohol is very, very bad for... children. Once you turn 21, alcohol becomes very very good" - Leela (futurama)

Untappd: BiggTexx

Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
DPBISME
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist View Post
I think that will not be a problem. Just label the buckets and only use them for souring not your regular beers. I think it'll will hold the O2 out of the beer if you do not open them much during the process
I never open them, well almost never...

I think I will give this a try and let'em go for about six months.

DPB

Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
cinderbike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Some people have issues with acetic acid production when using buckets - I'd make sure they are as air-tight as possible, or invest in a couple Better Bottles strictly for sours.

Check out Chill Haze for my adventures in brewing, cooking, and more!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

i would take extra care in sealing up the buckets. saran wrap is very impermeable - i would consider wrapping the lid/bucket interface to prevent any air from getting in there. hell, i'd consider wrapping the whole bucket - that plastic bucket is every so slightly breathable so some O2 will be entering through the bucket's walls.

i wonder if there is anything you can paint or coat a bucket with to make it impermeable? latex, shellac, spray-on plastic of some sort, etc.

none if this is a problem if you like truly sour beers (acetic acid).

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
DPBISME
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i would take extra care in sealing up the buckets. saran wrap is very impermeable - i would consider wrapping the lid/bucket interface to prevent any air from getting in there. hell, i'd consider wrapping the whole bucket - that plastic is every so slightly breathable so some O2 will be entering through the bucket's walls.
I like the idea...

I have in the past put a bucket in a Contractor-Bag just in case the thing went "wild" but I let it breathe.

I could do the same here and after primary fermentation tie it off real tight. , it might act as an addtional layer of protection.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I left a Flanders in a bucket for almost a year and it developed little if any acetic character. I think you'll be fine. But I also like the saran wrap idea. I will likely try that next time.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
I like the idea...

I have in the past put a bucket in a Contractor-Bag just in case the thing went "wild" but I let it breathe.

I could do the same here and after primary fermentation tie it off real tight. , it might act as an addtional layer of protection.
not sure how effective a large garbage bag would be... we're talking air on the microscopic level here. if there is still air between the bag and the bucket you will have made little to no difference. the things about cling wrap or a paint/spay-on seal is that you're getting right down against the bucket surface.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.
DPBISME Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Buy some better bottles. Bucket aged beer doesn't taste any better than it sounds.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i would take extra care in sealing up the buckets. saran wrap is very impermeable - i would consider wrapping the lid/bucket interface to prevent any air from getting in there. hell, i'd consider wrapping the whole bucket - that plastic bucket is every so slightly breathable so some O2 will be entering through the bucket's walls.

i wonder if there is anything you can paint or coat a bucket with to make it impermeable? latex, shellac, spray-on plastic of some sort, etc.

none if this is a problem if you like truly sour beers (acetic acid).
Sours do well in barrels and they let in a lot more air than a bucket should.

Quick Reply