Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > American Lambic Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
Great tips. Yeast first then go from there. Can you get the yeast from some of the popular more wild beers? I have these breweries in my cellar

3F
Boon
Cantillon
Orval
Lost Abbey
Russian River
girardin

Are any of those breweries making beers that have yeast easily extractable?
So by your OP it sounded like you wanted to go with really wild yeast, like spontaneous fermentation. That's what I was referring to, capturing wild yeast. If you just want to use dregs, and that's a great option, you could just ferment with clean brewers yeast then pitch some dregs from the above mentioned beers.
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Okay. Well. I honestly thought they were the same. Truly capturing wild yeast sounds like a fun challenge though.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 06-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you want to make a sour, this is the forum you need to visit:
http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/forum.html?tid=1108752780&pg=1

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You need to start doing a lot of research.
-cultivating/washing yeast
-barrel cleaning
-turbid mash
These would be some good topics to explore before diving into this.

Home-brewed lambics are notoriously "meh". You should work on your recipe first and then start using oak.

Also, pick up a copy of Wild Brews before you do anything.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This american sour is definately getting better: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/13-gallons-unintentionally-wild-brown-can-i-use-133003/

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Baloo
Recipes 

First the function of the Oak is to provide a strata for the bacteria to grow on, not to impart any flavor so you definitely do not want a new barrel, but you definitely want Oak in your fermenter. You also want old (as in lying around exposed to oxygen for at least a year) nasty cheesy hops. Since you don't want hop aroma or bitterness home grown hops work well for this. Just make sure to dry them out and leave them lying around for a year.

+1 on Wild Brews it's a good read with a truck load of useful information if you want to start playing around with sour brews.

I've been brewing lambics for 3 years know and am in the middle of a Geuze project. I ferment in 2 old bulk LME containers; big blue plastic "barrels" that hold ~12 gallons. As bonus a standard spigot threads right into the smaller hole. I picked them up from my LHBS for something like $5 each. I saved up about 6oz. of oak chips that had been used on a few batches of IPA and Strong ale. I boiled them before tossing them into the ferm. When I started I just bought several strains of yeast from Wyeast (3278 -Belgian Lambic Blend, 3942-Belgian Wheat, and 5526 - Brettanomyces lambicus)

I ferment in one for about a year then transfer the remainder to the second add fruit and hold for another year then bottle. Then I pitch a new batch right on to the dregs of the first. My first batch (blueberry) went well enough that I decided to start keeping 5 gallons in a corny for longer storage to make a Geuze.

Attempting to culture yeast off of the grapes growing in our back yard has been mezza mezza. I did finally get something (most likely brett) that seemed worth while and tossed it in last year, but I'd hesitate to suggest it's imparted that much or that I'd want to use it exclusively.

I keep both fermenters out in the garage so not much happens in the Winter. I try and brew my annual Lambic in early July so it gets some growth on both ends.

HTH

Back at it after way too long of a hiatus

Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts

Hops Direct sells aged hops. Aging them yourself doesn't always end well, and takes a LONG time, so I recommend buying from them.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo
First the function of the Oak is to provide a strata for the bacteria to grow on, not to impart any flavor so you definitely do not want a new barrel, but you definitely want Oak in your fermenter. You also want old (as in lying around exposed to oxygen for at least a year) nasty cheesy hops. Since you don't want hop aroma or bitterness home grown hops work well for this. Just make sure to dry them out and leave them lying around for a year.
"a strata" is a breakfast food. Delicious, too. There are plenty of lambics with oak character. Drie Fonteinen is famous for it.

There also isn't much reason to use aged hops unless you have them on hand (besides tradition, obviously). An ounce of sub-4% aa noble hop works just as well and won't impart a noticeable bitterness after you're done aging.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout

"a strata" is a breakfast food. Delicious, too. There are plenty of lambics with oak character. Drie Fonteinen is famous for it.

There also isn't much reason to use aged hops unless you have them on hand (besides tradition, obviously). An ounce of sub-4% aa noble hop works just as well and won't impart a noticeable bitterness after you're done aging.
Lambics are highly hopped as a measure of some degree of control against the bugs. An ounce in a 5gal batch really isn't enough for "Lambic" - 4oz or more is highly recommended. Even at 1oz, I wouldn't feel comfortable using fresh hops, but at 4+ oz, it's a no-brainer. Besides, they can be purchased from HopsDirect for dirt cheap if you don't have them on hand. Potentially compromising your brew and trying to save a dollar or two on a beer that takes so long from grain to glass is flat-out insane.

And yes, certain lambics have some oak character. But fermenting it in a *new* oak barrel the entire time is just going to make it taste like extremely astringent oak juice, ESPECIALLY at the batch sizes that homebrewers use (given the increased surface area to volume ratio). If you want to add oak to your lambic (and I find a mild oaking can really add another dimension, as it does to wines), that's really not the way to go.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
Baloo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
"a strata" is a breakfast food. Delicious, too.
That should have been the singular "stratum", in the geologic sense. I'm in the middle of a Kölsh brew and not spending time proof-reading. The point is that the oak provides a nice comfy home for the bacteria. This is especially helpful for pediococcus which doesn't get started until after saccharomyces has wound down.

Yes a mild oak characteristic is frequently found in lambics, but the amount of oak you'd get after a month (let alone a year) in a new oak cask is not.

Sure there are exceptions. Charlie Parker played critically acclaimed Jazz without melody, but no one would suggest a beginning musician should just start stringing a few notes together before they learned their scales.

Back at it after way too long of a hiatus

Quick Reply