New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Ambient/Spontaneous Fermentation Revisited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
ChugachBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 66 Posts

Nice blog. Love the photos too. If you ever come up to Portland, give me a shout and we'll swap beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Jlem, I am going to bump up this brew to 3 gallons this weekend, similar to what you did. I think it'll be more or less a saison. Quite a bit of pilsen DME and some wheat LME. Hopped with either EKG or Spalt Select.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbrewer
Nice blog. Love the photos too. If you ever come up to Portland, give me a shout and we'll swap beers.
Thanks. I'm having fun writing about my homebrewing. Hopefully I can keep the blog going. Thanks too about the photos - before homebrewing, photography was my obsession of choice so I try to pay attention to the photo quality (though it's tough sometimes given the same subjects over and over)

Will let you know when I make it up Portland way (not very often I'm sorry to say). Great city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Jlem, I am going to bump up this brew to 3 gallons this weekend, similar to what you did. I think it'll be more or less a saison. Quite a bit of pilsen DME and some wheat LME. Hopped with either EKG or Spalt Select.
Good luck and have fun with it. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Well, it seems I waiting a bit too long to put this under airlock. I pulled a sample tonight and tasted nothing but vinegar. Some acetobacter had to have gotten in at some point. Blast.

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
urbanmyth
Recipes 

I'm going to try again in a few more weeks.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thought I'd update. I freaking love this beer. Great funky brett character. Works great for a saison. Some small lactic acidity at the back, but not much. I'm expecting my sour bugs will make themselves known more in future generations.

Again the beer itself was just half vienna and half wheat. O.G. of 1.032. Finished at 1.003. A touch of Czech Saaz went into the boil, and I just threw an ounce into the keg.

Overall it's light, refreshing but really interesting from the funky yeast character.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #17
urbanmyth
Recipes 

I am thinking the next time I try this, I am going to use a third wheat and two thirds Munich. It'll be a bit darker than a lot of other traditional wild beers, but I really enjoy the Munich character. That and I have thirty pounds of it I need to use up.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I did a similar spontaneous batch last weekend. 5 gallon batch, 5# Munich, 3# wheat, 3# pilsner, 2# pale ale, ~40 IBU of Pearle at beginning of boil. Left the entire wort in the kettle, covered the top with cheesecloth and left out under my rose bushes overnight. I got spontaneous fermentation within 24 hours and after 4-5 days, it really kicked off! I need to take some pictures of the krausen today, but I'm afraid I've got piles of acetobacter on the top... Hoping not... I'm meaning to pitch a bunch of JP and Flanders bugs into the mix after a week or so.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: Texas Brown Ale Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Something On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/20
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
metalpysko
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I live in Alaska does anyone think there are some safe bugs here we just over a really hard winter where do y'all think a great place would be to put the wort at to pick up the wild yeasties

Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #20
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Saccromyces like to live on tree bark. Try putting your wort under a tree. I tried doing it under a rose bush, thinking something good on the flowers may help it along, but it was also under and nearby a few small trees.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: Texas Brown Ale Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Something On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/20
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply