The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > All Brett beer fermentation start.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I figured I would ask this here since I posted about it here rather than starting anothe thread so here goes.

I finally did the Brett L. with blueberries. Since the fermenters I am using could not hold the whole 6gal I was left with I needed to use 2 fermenters. One is full the other 1/2 full, both still have the berries in them from the begining when I pitched the yeast. Anyway, I checked them the other night and the full one still looks like it did on day 1 less fermentation bubbles. The one that is 1/2 full has a 1/4 layer of whitish "stuff" on top. Do you think something went wrong with this one (too much air/headspace) or it has excellerated ahead of the other due to less volume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #22
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like mine. All 4 carboys look like "normal" sac ferments and the cornie has a think white pellicle. They are all the same age and look different. Depends on the O2 level in the vessel.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
Sounds like mine. All 4 carboys look like "normal" sac ferments and the cornie has a think white pellicle. They are all the same age and look different. Depends on the O2 level in the vessel.
Ok, thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #24
jgln
Recipes 

I decided to bottle the above mentioned Brett. L in the 1/2 filled carboy because the moldy looking stuff on top really looked nasty and I decided to throw in the towel and bottle it and see if it will turn out ok. 3 1/2 months old. I still have the full carboy that doesn't (didn't) have that thick growth. Keep in mind I still have (had) blueberries floating on top of each.
Well, just after 5 days in the bottle I decided to chill and try one just to try. It smells great and tastes great except it also has an off flavor which I think came from that stuff on top which may have been the blueberries getting moldy. I hope in time that taste will disappear and if it does I got some nice sour fruity beer. I can really taste the brett and it is good and distintive from the other off taste.
Now, here is my second issue. I checked the second carboy, the full one, and it too is now growing that stuff on top of the berries which may just be mold and not the Brett. L bacteria. So what should I do? Let it go? Remove the berries and let it go? Bottle this one too before possible mold infection? This is my 2nd brett but the first with fruit, the other brett I have aging just has a film on top.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #25
jgln
Recipes 

Doesn't look like I am going to get an answer any time soon so this weekend I am going to transfer the beer to another vessel and toss the berries. Probably get an answer if I started a new thread bit I think I know what I need to do. The berries floating on top are just getting mold growing on them and I need to get them out of there if I plan on aging this Lambic the full year I planned.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You know that Brett L is funky tasting, right? It has a barnyardy, horsey sort of flavor.

And it is yeast not bacteria. The "mold" was almost certainly just a brett pellicle, but hard to say without pictures or more information.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKennedy View Post
You know that Brett L is funky tasting, right? It has a barnyardy, horsey sort of flavor.

And it is yeast not bacteria. The "mold" was almost certainly just a brett pellicle, but hard to say without pictures or more information.
Yes and no. I mean that description is actually for Brettanomyces Bruxellensis and not the Lambic but having never brewed either I can only go by descriptions and yes I know they are known to be funky. My Brett B. is the one without added fruit and doing just fine. It too has a layer of growth on top but nothing like the Brett L., that growth looks like what mold on fruit would look like. I will take a picture of both and try to upload.

I have also read descriptions of Brett-Lambics having bacteria so I assumed that was an accutate description and I do know it is a form of wild yeast.

For example:

Product Description:
Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend W3278: Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms most important for the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders. Propagator packs are best used with a yeast starter.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #28
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Brett Lambicus is a strain of brett, like Saccharomyces Cerevisia is a strain of Saccharomyces. It is a yeast, a specific strain of yeast. Lambics have many different strains of brettanomyces involved, along with saccharomyces, lactobacillus, pedioccocus, enterobacter, acetobacter, and other various bacteria and yeast.

Brett Lambicus is a yeast. Lambics contain both yeast and bacteria.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #29
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKennedy View Post
Brett Lambicus is a strain of brett, like Saccharomyces Cerevisia is a strain of Saccharomyces. It is a yeast, a specific strain of yeast. Lambics have many different strains of brettanomyces involved, along with saccharomyces, lactobacillus, pedioccocus, enterobacter, acetobacter, and other various bacteria and yeast.

Brett Lambicus is a yeast. Lambics contain both yeast and bacteria.
So I am not sure why you are trying to explain this to me? What is the discussion here? I mentioned something about the Brett bacteria (leaving out the Lambic part) in my wort and you go on to explain to me Brett is not a bacteria but a yeast and then later come back and state that Brett L. contains bacteria. I just made a reference to what I was using as "Brett" while discussing the bacteria.

I am just trying to figure out if this growth on top of the berries floating on top is a mold. I have had Lambics before and have an idea what to expect but this is not it, not yet anyway and I do know this beer is very young. However, after bottling a few (I had 1.5 carboys full) and carbonating this has 3 distinctive tastes. The berries, the Brett L. and something else as an after taste that reminds me of what I would describe as what licking the lower half of a moldy, musty basement wall that has water issues might taste like. I love these beers and smelly cheeses but this is nasty.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #30
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
So I am not sure why you are trying to explain this to me? What is the discussion here? I mentioned something about the Brett bacteria (leaving out the Lambic part) in my wort and you go on to explain to me Brett is not a bacteria but a yeast and then later come back and state that Brett L. contains bacteria. I just made a reference to what I was using as "Brett" while discussing the bacteria.
Your still confused

1. Brettanomyces Lambicus is a strain of yeast
2. Brett Lambicus (yeast) doesnt contain any bacteria, it is a fungi
3. Brett Lambicus is only 1 of many many yeast and bacteria that go into making a lambic beer
4. Lambics are a type of beer
5. There are no "Brett Bacteria"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I am just trying to figure out if this growth on top of the berries floating on top is a mold.
The growth on top of the beer is oxidative yeast and other bacteria forming a biofilm on top of the wort due to the presence of oxygen in the headspace

As far as the musty taste and aroma, this is what brett does, whether its brett brux, brett lambicus or brett c, they all produce various amounts of mousy,cheesy,goaty,horsey,sweaty flavors

Last edited by ryane; 11-09-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply