Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > All Brett B IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
gunnerm109a6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
I have to disagree with you guys, don't mash high, don't try to add more dextrin. You want to drink this beer in a reasonable amount of time, right? Not wait six months for your brett to slowly chew on gravity points so you can finally bottle? Jolly Pumpkin does a really low mash for their beers. If you were making a true sour I would mash high, but not here.

I've done a few 100% brett brux beers. No idea how it will work for an IPA, but I am very curious. What is your hopping schedule?

When I've used brett b, the krausen dropped in about a week, just like sacc. I then waited two months before bottling. Over the next couple months, the beers got a bit funkier and started getting a little overcarbed as the brett chewed more, but nothing in the bottle bomb range. You could just store them in the frig.
Rex,

I am leaning toward all Chinook: 1.5 oz at 60min, .5 oz at 10min, .5 oz at 1min and dry hop with one ounce for about a week. This works out to be about 56 IBU. Seems legit to me with a final gravity of about 1.010 or so.

So whats a good middle ground with this if I want to keep some maltiness and mouth feel and still have a drinkable beer at about 2 months?

Thanks!

In bottles:
Buddy's Braggot, Alexander's Hat Brown Ale, Autumn Leaf Mead, La dame de l'artilleur Rye Saison w/Brett-B, Ash & Trash DIPA

Primary: Crooked Tail Brett-B IPA, R/R Xing Blonde Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerm109a6 View Post
After this weekend I will have about a half a vial of Brett B on hand and I was thinking of trying a small batch all Brett IPA.
if you're using brett as your primary strain, you're going to need to pitch more than half a vial.

a half will work when you're adding it as a secondary yeast, but as a primary i believe you want to pitch at a much higher rate.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've brewed two all-brett IPAs in the last couple months, and a couple all-brett pale ales. I use a grist that is mostly two row, but about 15% malted wheat, 3% carapils and 1.5% of each of munich and victory malt. I like my IPA to be hop forward, so I don't put crystal/caramel/specialty malts. I used the wheat so that I would get some mouthfeel.

I mash at 148-150 because I want a dry beer in 4 weeks - grain to glass.

I hop it up like crazy late in the boil and have had the best success pitching just under 70 deg. F and fermenting thereabouts. I've been using Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois from White Labs. I had one batch I fermented at 60 deg. F that finished out, but took about three weeks for krausen to drop - I wouldnt recommend fermenting this low, it made good beer, but not great. I usually pitch yeast cell counts between lager and ale rates according to Mr. Malty.

Good luck!

Edit - as for packaging, I either keg and carb or bottle with a normal amount of priming sugar. The yeast will probably not over-carbonate if it's bottled on its own.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #14
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would say that 2lb of rye and over a lb of crystal will be a little too much.
Maybe more like 1lb of each and bring the crystal at 60l.
Brett B Trois gives huge attenuation in primary, but as was mentioned be someone already, you will need to build it up.
Mine was 4 weeks primary and then I started to drink it after only one week in the bottle.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2200 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 2236

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
if you're using brett as your primary strain, you're going to need to pitch more than half a vial.

a half will work when you're adding it as a secondary yeast, but as a primary i believe you want to pitch at a much higher rate.
You'll want to step that half vial up at least twice, I'd probably go .5l, 1l, 1.5L even though you're doing less than five gallons. I shoot for a midpoint between ale and lager pitching rates.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts

Mash low, and make a big starter. You probably need to pitch at a higher rate than normal for Brett.

I've used WLP650 a few times, and it doesn't attenuate that well. I've generally been in the 70% range. It does not super attenuate when used as a primary yeast. I've still got bottles of it that are a couple of years old and they are fine; no bombs, not even gushers.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brett B works great in an IPA. Just did another one a few months ago with citra & galaxy (1/3 Brux, 1/3 Trois, 1/3 both). I'd just treat your recipe as if you were doing it with sacch, but pitch a lot of brett (lager rates). I usually get around 85% attenuation.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
gunnerm109a6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for everyones advice on this. here is the recipe that I used on March 1st

For 3.5 gallons:
Grist-
8 lb US 2 row
12 oz biscuit malt
6 oz Munich malt
Hops-
1 oz cascade, .25 oz citra@60 min
1 oz citra@ 10 min and flame out
1 oz citra dry hop

Pitched a 1.5l starter

I brewed this trying out the the BIAB method.
Mashed at 148ish with a 168 mashout
Great brewday, came up 5 points shy on my OG, I can live with that.

More to follow.........

In bottles:
Buddy's Braggot, Alexander's Hat Brown Ale, Autumn Leaf Mead, La dame de l'artilleur Rye Saison w/Brett-B, Ash & Trash DIPA

Primary: Crooked Tail Brett-B IPA, R/R Xing Blonde Ale

Quick Reply