Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > All Brett B IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
gunnerm109a6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default All Brett B IPA

Hello friends!

After this weekend I will have about a half a vial of Brett B on hand and I was thinking of trying a small batch all Brett IPA. I brewed a pretty simple and tasty IPA recipe sometime ago and want to try it with Brett.

Do you guys think simply changing from a American ale yeast to Brett B would work or do I need to modify the recipe?

Thanks

In bottles:
Buddy's Braggot, Alexander's Hat Brown Ale, Autumn Leaf Mead, La dame de l'artilleur Rye Saison w/Brett-B, Ash & Trash DIPA

Primary: Crooked Tail Brett-B IPA, R/R Xing Blonde Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only adjustments I make are based off where I expect the brett to finish vs standard ale yeast. Trois is my standard brett for ipa and it tends to finish at one to two plato, so I alter OG and hopping accordingly to keep abv and bitterness in line. Have you used brett b on its own before, or have an idea of how it ferments for you?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
gunnerm109a6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohldogg View Post
The only adjustments I make are based off where I expect the brett to finish vs standard ale yeast. Trois is my standard brett for ipa and it tends to finish at one to two plato, so I alter OG and hopping accordingly to keep abv and bitterness in line. Have you used brett b on its own before, or have an idea of how it ferments for you?
I have never used Brett B before. I am dosing a portion of a Rye Saison batch in heavy bottles this weekend but I won't use the whole vial. Would Brett B work well in an IPA?

In bottles:
Buddy's Braggot, Alexander's Hat Brown Ale, Autumn Leaf Mead, La dame de l'artilleur Rye Saison w/Brett-B, Ash & Trash DIPA

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My Brett B Trois IPA was mashed at 69c and came in at 8.5% alc but drinks like it is 4%!
Now I didn't have any crystal in it at all, just some raw wheat, so if you want lots of body you will need quite a bit of residual sugar(not that easy with this yeast).
So,mash high and good luck. It's a great primary yeast,you are going to love it.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
gunnerm109a6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
My Brett B Trois IPA was mashed at 69c and came in at 8.5% alc but drinks like it is 4%!
Now I didn't have any crystal in it at all, just some raw wheat, so if you want lots of body you will need quite a bit of residual sugar(not that easy with this yeast).
So,mash high and good luck. It's a great primary yeast,you are going to love it.
Would malted rye work well in place of the wheat?

In bottles:

Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
PaulVikingAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are definitely going to want to leave some long chain carbohydrates for the Brett to work on over the long haul. Like badlee said, mash high or you could add something like starch, Brett B can ferment this. Better yet, stick with the high mash temp. Good experiment and you will enjoy the outcome. Keep us posted.

Yeast guy at VikingAles www.vikingales.com

Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I like the idea of mashing High (155-160) to get some complex sugars to work with, and also increasing the % the crystal vs a standard IPA. Maybe reduce the crystal color a shade too to keep it in the amber/copper range.

Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would say that yes, rye would work very well,if it's unmalted rye you are thinking of.
Show us a grain bill?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
gunnerm109a6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

All I have now is the grain bill, still working out the hops. I want to make sure I keep the ballance correct.

for a 5.5 gallon batch.
Single infusion, full body (based on your advice)

11 lb Pale 2 row
1.25 crystal 80l
12 oz carared
2 lb flaked rye

OG 1.070
IBU 60 ish (Thinking about all Chinook)
SRM 13
ABV 6.5

In bottles:

Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I have to disagree with you guys, don't mash high, don't try to add more dextrin. You want to drink this beer in a reasonable amount of time, right? Not wait six months for your brett to slowly chew on gravity points so you can finally bottle? Jolly Pumpkin does a really low mash for their beers. If you were making a true sour I would mash high, but not here.

I've done a few 100% brett brux beers. No idea how it will work for an IPA, but I am very curious. What is your hopping schedule?

When I've used brett b, the krausen dropped in about a week, just like sacc. I then waited two months before bottling. Over the next couple months, the beers got a bit funkier and started getting a little overcarbed as the brett chewed more, but nothing in the bottle bomb range. You could just store them in the frig.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Quick Reply