Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Aging Sours in Better Bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #41
simcoe4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thakog View Post
I'm doing a Flanders Red soon from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles. His recipe just used the Roselare blend, and doesn't even pitch regular sacchromyces. (sp)
That's the best way to do it.

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #42
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post
That's the best way to do it.
Agreed, although I was pretty sure Jamil called for fermenting the beer out with American Ale yeast first? Did that change in the book?

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...s_Red_Ale.html

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #43
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Agreed, although I was pretty sure Jamil called for fermenting the beer out with American Ale yeast first? Did that change in the book?

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...s_Red_Ale.html
I believe the book reccomends only the blend if you want something more like Rodenbach Grand Cru, or primary with sacch if you want it less sour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thakog View Post
I'm doing a Flanders Red soon from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles. His recipe just used the Roselare blend, and doesn't even pitch regular sacchromyces. (sp)
Thakog, the blend contains sacchromyces. For my Flanders Red I pitched the smack pack in primary, no starter. I did not want to throw the ratio of the blend off from a starter. Fermentation started quick enough. Mine was also based on the BCS recipe.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #44
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99 View Post
I believe the book reccomends only the blend if you want something more like Rodenbach Grand Cru, or primary with sacch if you want it less sour.
Right you are, he gives both options, good to see.

If you only want to pitch the blend make sure it is fresh, I made a terrible batch of Lambic early on when pitching just the Wyeast blend took 4 days to get going. Since then I generally add a blend, plus some yeast from a previous batch, plus some bottle dregs for added acidity and complexity.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #45
jalgayer
Recipes 

I need to get another bottling bucket for this process. Would it be ok to use THAT for my primary for 2-3 weeks then transfer to secondary in a 5 gallon better bottle? The bucket would obviously be lidded and airlocked.

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #46
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalgayer View Post
I need to get another bottling bucket for this process. Would it be ok to use THAT for my primary for 2-3 weeks then transfer to secondary in a 5 gallon better bottle? The bucket would obviously be lidded and airlocked.
DO IT! i usually use the bucket for primary of ~ 2 months, then swap to glass, or in your case better bottle. bucket is just not good for a long aging process since too much O2 is exchanged.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #47
simcoe4life
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
DO IT! i usually use the bucket for primary of ~ 2 months, then swap to glass, or in your case better bottle. bucket is just not good for a long aging process since too much O2 is exchanged.
I had 10 gallons of lambic turn into nail polish after 9 months in buckets in primary. Don't use plastic buckets! Seriously. You have been warned.

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #48
Thakog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Right you are, he gives both options, good to see.

If you only want to pitch the blend make sure it is fresh, I made a terrible batch of Lambic early on when pitching just the Wyeast blend took 4 days to get going. Since then I generally add a blend, plus some yeast from a previous batch, plus some bottle dregs for added acidity and complexity.
Great advice, and a good excuse to drink some of the commercial examples I've been sitting on for a while.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #49
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post
I had 10 gallons of lambic turn into nail polish after 9 months in buckets in primary. Don't use plastic buckets! Seriously. You have been warned.
Yeah, sounds like too much oxygen got in. A bucket is fine for 2-3 weeks, but it seems to be variable for long term aging. I ahd a friend leave a Flanders Red in one for 6 months, and it got no off flavors (or sourness for that matter). Maybe the lid of your bucket wasn't as tight as his?

Quick Reply