Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > aging a brett beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
TipsySaint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default aging a brett beer

I just finished fermenting a saison with the yeast bays' saison brett blend. I am planning on aging for 3-6 months. Should I bulk age or bottle and let sit (once the gravity is stable that is)?

Primary - Nottingham Cider, Irish Red Ale, Dunkelweisen
Secondary - NE Abbey Beir De Garde, Wallonia Saison, Black Mushroom Amber Ale
Aging- Flanders Red 15 months in!, Pine Barrens Honey Mead, Brett Saison, 100% brett bier De Garde
Bottled -
Kegged - My Pipeline fell down!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Brett is a slow worker. Mike, over at www.themadfermentationist.com says he makes sure his gravity is stable for a month before bottling. Don't bottle until you are absolutely sure the gravity is stable.

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 76

3-6 month is more than enough. I would take the first gravity reading at 6 weeks, and again at 8 weeks. if stable youre likely good to package, assuming its sufficiently dry. Brett does a lot of great things under the pressure of bottle conditioning, so assuming you have a stable gravity, get it into bottles to age.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Old 09-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
3-6 month is more than enough. I would take the first gravity reading at 6 weeks, and again at 8 weeks. if stable youre likely good to package, assuming its sufficiently dry. Brett does a lot of great things under the pressure of bottle conditioning, so assuming you have a stable gravity, get it into bottles to age.
Agreed. A stable gravity is the key (after you know there is Brett activity). Don't worry about bottling before the Brett-flavor is where you want it!

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

TipsySaint Likes This 
Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
TipsySaint
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok so I should let it sit in the same carboy it fermented in until

1. the gravity is stable
2. 2-3 months has passed
3. the flavor is right about where I want it

After those conditions are met, it's safe to bottle (by safe i mean flavor wise, I understand bottle bombs are no longer a concern)?

It was a combo fermentation with sac. The gravity right now is at 1.004 and its being stored at 25C.

I want to get another beer going so I'm going to have to pull it out of the warm box and let it sit at about 17-18.5C after that. I'm hoping that this will be ok.... or does it need warm through the entire aging process?

Aging- Flanders Red 15 months in!, Pine Barrens Honey Mead, Brett Saison, 100% brett bier De Garde
Bottled -

Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
roink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsySaint View Post
Ok so I should let it sit in the same carboy it fermented in until

1. the gravity is stable
2. 2-3 months has passed
3. the flavor is right about where I want it
The Brett flavour will increase under pressure, in the bottle. You don't have to wait until there is enough Brett flavour in the fermentor.

Quote:
I want to get another beer going so I'm going to have to pull it out of the warm box and let it sit at about 17-18.5C after that. I'm hoping that this will be ok.... or does it need warm through the entire aging process?
I would let it sit at 17-18°C. I would try to avoid temps as high as 25°C as the production rate of acetic acid is much higher.
At cooler temperatures everything slows down, but the production of acetic acid slows down even more.

Member of the Cologne Beer Historians.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
TipsySaint
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roink View Post
The Brett flavour will increase under pressure, in the bottle. You don't have to wait until there is enough Brett flavour in the fermentor.

I would let it sit at 17-18°C. I would try to avoid temps as high as 25°C as the production rate of acetic acid is much higher.
At cooler temperatures everything slows down, but the production of acetic acid slows down even more.

That sir is the info I'm looking for!

Thanks all!

Bottled -

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm doing something similar. I have a saison sitting in the primary still. SG is also 1.004 at the moment. I'm just waiting for a free evening to rack it to a secondary carboy and pitch the Brett. I'm not going to touch it until next spring/summer. However, I'm planning on kegging.

I was planning on aging in the carboy for the whole time. But should I give it 2-3 months in the secondary carboy to first let it do it's thing on the sugar that's left and then rack it to the keg for the remaining months to get some pressurized aging?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
TipsySaint
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
I'm doing something similar. I have a saison sitting in the primary still. SG is also 1.004 at the moment. I'm just waiting for a free evening to rack it to a secondary carboy and pitch the Brett. I'm not going to touch it until next spring/summer. However, I'm planning on kegging.

I was planning on aging in the carboy for the whole time. But should I give it 2-3 months in the secondary carboy to first let it do it's thing on the sugar that's left and then rack it to the keg for the remaining months to get some pressurized aging?
If brett does well under pressure, why not throw it directly into the keg for secondary, pitch your brett, and bob's your uncle!

Maybe throw in some priming sugar for the sacc but the brett might be able to get it to pressure... not sure on that point. Anyone here know if brett will cause enough pressure that you don't need help from the sacc?

Bottled -

Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
If brett does well under pressure, why not throw it directly into the keg for secondary, pitch your brett, and bob's your uncle!

Maybe throw in some priming sugar for the sacc but the brett might be able to get it to pressure... not sure on that point. Anyone here know if brett will cause enough pressure that you don't need help from the sacc?
I also thought about putting it directly into the keg for secondary. I had some questions/concerns about that though.

1) It's at 1.004 now. Assuming that it will eat down to 1.000, I haven't done the math, but will that be too much pressure?

2) I don't have a gauge to measure pressure, which would be ideal. I could, though, just vent and re-pressurize to a set amount periodically. That's just the headspace though, as I re-pressurize, whatever was in solution will be different, but hopefully over time, it'd all equalize out to the tank pressure I hit it with. The ultimate concern here is just knowing the volumes of carbonation when it comes serving time.

3) lastly, I only have one keg for sour/Brett beers. I have no other plans for this keg in the meantime, but when this goes in, it's in. Will chewing through the last 4 points leave much of a cake at the bottom of the keg?

Oh, and btw, I'd probably start off with some headspace pressure from the start, rather than waiting on the secondary fermentation.

Quick Reply