Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Ageing of Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Jsta Porter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ageing of Hops

Hello,

Due to lack of foresight 2-3 years ago I failed to age hops for the lambic I intend to brew. I plan on ageing via oven (200 degrees for 4-5 hours) like many folks reccommend. I plan to use UK Kent goldings 5.4% Alpha. With the intent of getting the recipe to 10IBU, how do I calculate the residual Alpha after the hops get the oven treatment?

Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
peck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think there is an easy way to calculate the alpha acid content of your 'aged' hops. Since the aging process (or heating in your case) lowers the AA content and oxidizes the beta acid (which will increase the bitterness) an unknown amount, the AA and BA contents would need to be remeasured. Know any analytical chemists?

Might I suggest that you wing it?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
boxcar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta Porter View Post
Hello,

Due to lack of foresight 2-3 years ago I failed to age hops for the lambic I intend to brew. I plan on ageing via oven (200 degrees for 4-5 hours) like many folks reccommend. I plan to use UK Kent goldings 5.4% Alpha. With the intent of getting the recipe to 10IBU, how do I calculate the residual Alpha after the hops get the oven treatment?

Thanks!!!
why 10ibu? I think after 5 hours in a 200 degree oven, there won't be any real bittering power to the hops.

I ask my lhbs if they have any hop powder from the bottom of their hop shipments that they will sell to me at a reduced price, which they are more than happy to, since no one else seems to want it. I will then spread it about an inch thick on a piece of foil in the oven and bake at 170 for four hours. this has worked well for me.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Jsta Porter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks- the hop powder idea is genius.

I ended up finding some 8-10 year old hops at a LHBS, but that will only last so long

Quick Reply