Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Adjuncts, starches, and sour beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #31
coyote68
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 37

subscribed... will add flaked oats (steep) to my next sour

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good way to test this might be to do a regular 5 gallon type mash, steal a gallon for steeping oats, one for a half teaspoon of flour in the boil, one for nothing as a control, the rest with your preferred adjuncts and see what happens. I just might do this as my first single gallon experiments.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

metic Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #33
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by statseeker View Post
Good way to test this might be to do a regular 5 gallon type mash, steal a gallon for steeping oats, one for a half teaspoon of flour in the boil, one for nothing as a control, the rest with your preferred adjuncts and see what happens. I just might do this as my first single gallon experiments.
If you do, please let us know what happens in a year!

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #34
Bearfoot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by statseeker View Post
I just might do this as my first single gallon experiments.
I've got a year to spare. I think I'll do the same!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #35
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Here's something I'm unclear about.

Will flaked oats steeped in the kettle at 180F contribute any fermentables to the beer? Should I include them when calculating the OG of the recipe?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #36
metic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspurdotus View Post
Here's something I'm unclear about.

Will flaked oats steeped in the kettle at 180F contribute any fermentables to the beer? Should I include them when calculating the OG of the recipe?
Eventually, yes, once the brett breaks the starches down into sugars and they are fermented by whatever is active in the wort at that point. I've no idea how to factor that into calculating the OG of the recipe though, and I don't know if starches in the wort contribute to its gravity at the start of fermentation?

But with the amount of oats we are talking about, the difference should be fairly small---a few points at most.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #37
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by metic View Post
Eventually, yes, once the brett breaks the starches down into sugars and they are fermented by whatever is active in the wort at that point. I've no idea how to factor that into calculating the OG of the recipe though, and I don't know if starches in the wort contribute to its gravity at the start of fermentation?

But with the amount of oats we are talking about, the difference should be fairly small---a few points at most.
That's sort of what I was thinking. I'll list them as unfermentable for purposes of determining the post boil OG, knowing that the beer will finish lower since those starches will eventually be broken down.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #38
jrfehon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Great thread! I'm subscribed now and will be following along.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #39
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm brewing a sour tomorrow. I'm going to try this. Worst that can happen is that it all drops to the bottom over the year+ of storage and makes no difference.

Questions I have are:

- What to add (flour, or oats, ...... or is there some other grain that might even be better; rice flour, buckwheat, millet, etc)?

- How much to add? I've seen a tablespoon of flour, and a cup of oats. Seems like a wide variation.

- When to add? Start of boil, near end of boil, at flame out?

Anyone any thoughts?

Without any further guidance/suggestions, I'm thinking of a couple of tablespoons of flour added to the boil about 10 minutes from the end.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #40
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I'm brewing a sour tomorrow. I'm going to try this. Worst that can happen is that it all drops to the bottom over the year+ of storage and makes no difference.

Questions I have are:

- What to add (flour, or oats, ...... or is there some other grain that might even be better; rice flour, buckwheat, millet, etc)?

- How much to add? I've seen a tablespoon of flour, and a cup of oats. Seems like a wide variation.

- When to add? Start of boil, near end of boil, at flame out?

Anyone any thoughts?

Without any further guidance/suggestions, I'm thinking of a couple of tablespoons of flour added to the boil about 10 minutes from the end.

I've used both oats and flaked wheat. My beers aren't done yet, but Flat Tail said they use oats. They also said to steep the oats at 180F when you're approaching the boil. They use a grant or something like that and I'm not quite sure what that is but he suggested using a strainer bag.

I don't recall them mentioning exactly how much to use, but I used 8oz for a 6 gallon batch.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Quick Reply