The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Adding Yeast Before Bottling a Sour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
cmdrico7812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Adding Yeast Before Bottling a Sour

I plan to bottle a Flanders Red I made in February of 2009. I'm going to lightly carb it (2-2.2 volumes or 3.5oz dextrose). Given it's age, do I need to add yeast when I bottle or do you think it will natural carb with what's left in it? Is there a way to test for this before bottling? Thanks.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would probably sprinkle a pack of dry yeast into your bottling bucket just to be safe. Put it in with your priming sugar so it gets mixed well and only use 1/3-1/2 of a pack. Any yeast will do since you won't get any flavor from it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ended up adding 3.5 oz of corn sugar and about 2/3rds of a package of Nottingham yeast to the bottling bucket. Should help with the natural carbonation in the bottle. When I bottled, the whole basement smelled like I was walking through an orchard and it's nice and dry with a bit of bite.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
tprokop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I've successfully bottled two batches of sour, and both times I added champagne yeast with the priming sugar. Both carbed up nicely in about 4 weeks, but that may have been slowed by cellar temps.

For one of the two, I split the batch between bottles and draft so I got to compare natural vs. force carb. I didn't find any real changes in the two, so I am going to stick to yeast with priming sugar in the future.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
mattyp1214
Recipes 

I also added nottingham yeast in mine and after three weeks it's almost there. I couldn't help myself I've waited so long and it is way past my expectations! In the future I plan on adding yeast just in case. I think it would be fine if you didn't but could possibly take longer if there's not much yeast left.

Quick Reply