Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Adding campden to mixed fermentation (sour) cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
ElkSherpa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding campden to mixed fermentation (sour) cider

I made a cider/perry in December of 2010 from pears grown on my parents land and pitched a vial of trappist ale yeast. Fermentation was VERY slow moving. In the beginning of February, a pellicle had formed. I have let it ride since then and pulled a few tastes. I'm no expert on the matter but through a bit of research and deductive reasoning, I'm quite certain I picked up brettanomyces(bubbly pellicle), pediococcus(slime like ropiness), and probably acetobacter as well(thin white rubber-like circles on surface).

I would let it ride further but the possible acetobacter concerns me. The tartness is about where I want it. I intend to bottle half of the 4 gallons, and save two for blending with other beer.

How should I go about ceasing the bugs? Would adding crushed campden tablets be the most appropriate solution?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have killed Brett by fining with gelatin, crash cooling, racking, and then adding 1 campden tablet per gallon. A few days later you can re-yeast and bottle.

I wouldn’t worry about Acetobacter unless you are smelling/tasting vinegar, or letting a lot of oxygen in. It is very hard to tell what microbes you have visually, different strains/conditions manifest themselves in different ways.

You’re saying the texture of the actual cider is slimy/viscous, not just the pellicle? If you do have Pedio “sickness” I would ride it out, you need the Brett to help clean it up.

I did a sour/funky cider 18 months ago, but it never really got that sour/funky.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

When adding campden to knock out brett, does it just need to be crushed and added dry or does it need to be dissolved into water first?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
ElkSherpa
Recipes 

The pellicle is "slimy", not so much the entire cider itself.

I've been following your blog, Oldsock, and you've really put a wealth of information out there for guys like me to geek out on. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
When adding campden to knock out brett, does it just need to be crushed and added dry or does it need to be dissolved into water first?
I crushed them, but did not dissolve. I'd imagine it would work either way though.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply